Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak
The Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak (Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak) is the highest state order in the state of Sarawak. It is conferred to those who rendered excellent service towards the development of the state of Sarawak and Malaysia. The Order was established in 1964, a year after the Sarawak's independence within the formation of Malaysia. The history of the order could be traced back to 1928, where a similar order, named Order of the Star of Sarawak, was established by the Brooke Raj. However, the revived order has no connection with the previous order, except for the similarity of the name of the order. The motto of the Order is based on the state motto and the current one was adopted in 1988.
|Darjah Utama Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Sarawak|
|Awarded by The State Government of Sarawak|
|Motto||Dum Spiro Spero (Berharap Selagi Bernafas,As long as I breathe, I hope) (1964-1973) |
Hidup Selalu Berkhidmat (Live to Serve) (1973-1988)
Bersatu, Berusaha, Berbakti (United, Striving, Serving) 1988-Present
|Awarded for||State Order of Merit|
|Grades||7 (S.B.S.), (P.N.B.S.), (P.S.B.S.), (J.B.S.), (P.B.S.), (A.B.S.), (B.B.S.)|
|Total inductees||860 (living recipients at each time of appointment only)|
|Next (lower)||Darjah Yang Amat Mulia Bintang Kenyalang Sarawak (Order of the Star of Hornbill Sarawak)|
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Order||Post-nominal||Title||Created||Changed||Living recipients at each time
of appointment only
|Satria Bintang Sarawak (Knight Grand Commander)||S.B.S.||Pehin Sri||2003||None||8||1|
|Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak (Knight Commander)||P.N.B.S.||Dato' Sri formerly Dato'||1964||1973,1988||8||2|
|Panglima Setia Bintang Sarawak (Commander)||P.S.B.S.||Dato formerly Dato'||1964||1973,1988||18||3|
|Johan Bintang Sarawak (Companion)||J.B.S.||None||1964||1973,1988||52||4|
|Pegawai Bintang Sarawak (Officer)||P.B.S.||None||1964||1973,1988||Unlimited||5|
|Ahli Bintang Sarawak (Member)||A.B.S.||None||1964||1973,1988||Unlimited||6|
|Bentara Bintang Sarawak (Knight)||B.B.S.||None||1964||1973,1988||Unlimited||7|
|1973 - 1988|
|1964 - 1973|
- The latest addition to the order, the Knight Grand Commander (SBS), was instituted in 2003, with former Malaysian PM Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad and Sarawak Chief Minister Abdul Taib Mahmud became its first recipients.
- The design of the order ribbon was changed twice: first in 1973 and second in 1988. The design follows the colors of the Sarawak flag: Blue, Red and White (1973 design), and Yellow, Black and Red (1988 design).
- Both the Officer of the Star of Sarawak (JBS) and Officer of the Star of Hornbill Sarawak (JBS) share the same necklace design.
- 1 Recipients
- 1.1 Satria Bintang Sarawak (S.B.S.)
- 1.2 Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak (P.N.B.S.)
- 1.3 Panglima Setia Bintang Sarawak (P.S.B.S.)
- 1.4 Johan Bintang Sarawak (J.B.S.)
- 1.5 Pegawai Bintang Sarawak (P.B.S.)
- 1.6 Ahli Bintang Sarawak (A.B.S.)
- 1.7 Bentara Bintang Sarawak (B.B.S.)
- 2 Notes
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Satria Bintang Sarawak (S.B.S.)Edit
Recipients of the Knight Grand Commander of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak include:-
|Tan Sri Datuk Patinggi Dr. Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud||4th Chief Minister of Sarawak||26 March 1981 – 28 February 2014|||
|Datuk Patinggi Dr. Mahathir Mohamad||4th Prime Minister of Malaysia||16 July 1981 – 31 October 2003|
|Tun Datuk Patinggi Haji Abang Muhammad Salahuddin Abang Barieng||3rd Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak||2 April 1977 – 1 April 1981|||
|6th Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak||22 February 2001 – 28 February 2014|
|Tan Sri Datuk Patinggi (Dr.) Haji Adenan Satem[nb 1]||5th Chief Minister of Sarawak||1 March 2014 – 11 January 2017|||
Panglima Negara Bintang Sarawak (P.N.B.S.)Edit
Recipients of the Knight Commander of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak (P.N.B.S.) also receive the title "Dato Sri". They include:-
|Datuk Lim Haw Kuang||Chairman of Royal Dutch Shell, Malaysia|||
|Sulaiman Abdul Rahman Taib||Group Chairman of Cahya Mata Sarawak Berhad|
|Tan Sri Dato' Indera Dr. Hadenan Abdul Jalil||Auditor General of Malaysia|||
|Tan Sri Haji Abdul Rashid Abdul Rahman||Chairman of Election Commission of Malaysia|
|Gathorne Gathorne-Hardy, 5th Earl of Cranbrook[nb 2]||Earl of Cranbrook|
|Tan Sri Dato' Sri Mohamed Bakri Omar||Inspector-General of Police of Malaysia|||
|Dato' Sri Chan Kong Choy||Minister of Transport of Malaysia|
|MP for Selayang|
|Datu Ahmad Tarmizi Sulaiman||Financial secretary of Sarawak|
|Datuk Awang Tengah Ali Hasan||Minister for Planning and Resource Management II of Sarawak|
|MLA of Sarawak for Bukit Sari|
|Datuk William Mawan Ikom||Minister for Social Development and Urbanisation of Sarawak|
|MLA of Sarawak for Pakan|
|Datuk Dr. Leo Michael Toyad||former Minister of Tourism of Malaysia|
|MP for Mukah|
|Tan Sri Datuk Dr. Arshad Ayub||Chairman of PFM Capital Propriety Limited|||
|Chairman of AmanahRaya Investment Bank Limited|
|Chairman of the Board of Directors of University of Malaya|
|Tan Sri Datuk Wira Musa Hassan||Inspector-General of Police of Malaysia|
|Tun Dato' Sri Dr. Lim Keng Yaik||former Minister of Energy, Water and Communications of Malaysia|||
|former Minister of Primary Industries of Malaysia|
|former MP for Beruas|
|Tan Sri Dato' Seri Utama Nor Mohamed Yakcop||Minister of Finance II of Malaysia|
|MP for Tasek Gelugor|
|Dato' Seri Haji Mohamed Khaled Nordin||Minister of Higher Education of Malaysia|
|MP for Pasir Gudang|
|Tan Sri Dato' Seri Haji Muhyiddin Yassin||Minister of International Trade and Industry of Malaysia|
|MP for Pagoh|
|Tan Sri Dato' Seri Mohd Sidek Hassan||Chief Secretary to the Government of Malaysia|
|President of International Islamic University Malaysia|
|Haji Mahmud Abu Bekir Taib|
|Dr. Albert Hong Hin Kay[nb 2]||Chairman and Managing Director of RSP Architects Planners & Engineers Propriety Limited|
|Honorary Consul of Tunisia in Singapore|
|Tan Sri Dato' Sri Abdul Gani Patail||Attorney General of Malaysia|||
|Datuk Douglas Uggah Embas||Minister of Natural Resources and Environment of Malaysia|
|MP for Betong|
|Datuk Michael Manyin Jawong||Minister for Tourism and Cities Development of Sarawak|
|MLA of Sarawak for Tebedu|
|General Tan Sri Dato' Seri Azizan Ariffin||Chief of Defence Forces of Malaysia|||
|Tan Sri Dato' Sri Dr. Wan Abdul Aziz Wan Abdullah||Secretary-General of the Treasury of Malaysia|
|Dato' Sri Mahmood Adam||Secretary-General of the Ministry of Home Affairs of Malaysia|
|Datuk Nasir Sakaran||Minister in the Chief Minister's Department of Sabah|
|MLA of Sabah for Senallang|
|Dato' Sri Mohammad Ali Mahmud||MLA of Sarawak for Muara Tuang|||
|Pehin Jawatan Dalam Seri Maharaja Dato Seri Utama Dr. Haji Awang Mohd Jamil AlSufri Begawan Urdana Khatib Dato Seri Paduka Awang Umar[nb 2]|
|Dato' John Lau Kah Sieng||Founder of Kumpulan Design/Arkitek KDI Propriety Limited|||
|Yaw Chee Ming||Chief Executive Officer of Samling Global Limited|
|Pehin Orang Kaya Shahbandar Dato Seri Setia Haji Awang Mohd Nawawi Allahyarham Pehin Orang Kaya Shahbandar Haji Awang Mohd Taha[nb 2]||Private and Confidential Secretary to His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam|
|Dato' Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi||Minister of Home Affairs of Malaysia|||
|MP for Bagan Datuk|
|Dato' Seri Hishammuddin Hussein||Minister of Defence of Malaysia|
|MP for Sembrong|
|Tan Sri Dato' Seri Ali Hamsa||Chief Secretary to the Government of Malaysia|
|Prof. Emeritus Tan Sri Dato' Sri Paduka Dr. Lim Kok Wing|
|Kazuhisa Kogo[nb 2]||President of Tokuyama Corporation|
|Datuk Seri Panglima Shafie Apdal||Minister of Rural and Regional Development of Malaysia|||
|MP for Semporna|
|Pehin Orang Kaya Datuk Paduka Awang Lim Jock Seng||Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade II of Brunei|
|Datuk Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar||Deputy Minister of Home Affairs of Malaysia|
|MP for Santubong|
|Dato' Ir. Haji Wahab Suhaili||Executive Chairman of Jurutera Perunding Wahba Propriety Limited|
|former MLA of Sarawak for Batang Sadong|
|General Tan Sri Dato' Seri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin||Chief of Defence Forces of Malaysia|||
|Tan Sri Dato' Seri Mohamad Zabidi Zainal||Director-General of the Public Service Department of Malaysia|
|Tan Sri Dato' Seri Haji Ambrin Buang||Auditor General of Malaysia|||
|Tan Sri Dato Bustari Yusuf||Executive Chairman of OBYU Holdings Propriety Limited|
|Datuk Dr. Stephen Rundi Utom||Minister for Public Utilities of Sarawak|
|MLA of Sarawak for Kemena|
|Dato' Sri Hajah Rohani Abdul Karim||Minister of Women, Family and Community Development of Malaysia|||
|MP for Batang Lupar|
|Dato' Sri Richard Riot Jaem||Minister of Human Resources of Malaysia|
|MP for Serian|
|Datuk Hajah Fatimah Abdullah||Minister for Welfare, Community Well Being, Women, Family and Childhood Development of Sarawak|
|MLA of Sarawak for Dalat|
|Datuk Fong Joo Chung||Sarawak state legal counsel|
|former Attorney General of Sarawak|
|Dato' Seri Tiong King Sing||MP for Bintulu|||
|Datuk Sharifah Mordiah Tuanku Fauzi||former Assistant Minister for Welfare and Women Affairs of Sarawak|
|former MLA of Sarawak for Samariang|
|Prof. Datuk Dr. Sim Kui Hian||Minister for Local Government and Housing of Sarawak|||
|MLA of Sarawak for Batu Kawah|
|Datuk Gramong Juna||former Assistant Minister for Tourism of Sarawak|
|former MLA of Sarawak for Machan|
|Datu Mohamad Abu Bakar Marzuki||Deputy state secretary of Sarawak|
Panglima Setia Bintang Sarawak (P.S.B.S.)Edit
Recipients of the Commander of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak (P.S.B.S.) include:-
- The Late Dato Dr Judson Sakai Tagal - 2004 (Posthumous)
- Dato Zakaria Jaffar - 2004
- Dato Che Min Che Ahmad - 2004
- Dato Henry Lau Lee Kong - 2004
- Dato Hussain Paris - 2004
- Dato Vincent G. Chapman - 2004
- Dato Ursula Goh, Co-Founder, Sarawak Federation of Women's Institute - 2004
- Dato Dr. James Dawos Mamit - 2006
- Datin Amar Dato Dayang Morliah Awang Daud, Wife of the Sarawak Minister of Public Utilities - 2009
- Dato William Wei How Sieng, Advisor, HWS Properties Sdn. Bhd. - 2009
- Dato Sarbanun Abdul Kadir Marican, veteran artist - 2009
- Dato Dr Abu Bakar Abdullah @ Tom Belarek, President, Sarawak Orang Ulu Association - 2009
- Dato Mohamad Ramji Alli, Elections Commission - 2009
- Dato Bujang Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce, businessman - 2009
- The Rev'd Dato Pastor Dr Su Chii Ann, religious leader and President, Sarawak Chinese Annual Conference (SCAC) - 2009
- Dato Paul Teo Choo Tee - 2009
- Yang Arif Dato Rhodzariah Bujang, High Court Judge - 2011
- Professor Dato Dr Jamil Hamali, Universiti Teknologi Mara Sarawak Rector - 2011
- Dato Mohammad Medan Abdullah, Senior General Manager, Group Corporate Affairs, Petronas - 2011
- Dato Janet Lau Ung Mie, Women's Wing Chief, Sarawak United Peoples' Party (SUPP) Bahagian Sibu Division - 2011
- Dato Dr Liew Wee Lik, pakar bedah kardiotorasik, Normah Medical Specialist Centre - 2011
- Dato Alexander Maiyor, President, Miri Melanau Association - 2011
- Dato Mohamad Sait Ahmad, Chief Executive Officer/Managing Director, Inland Revenue Board - 2011
- Dato Wan Morshidi Tuanku Abdul Rahman, President, Miri Malay Association- 2011
- Dato Usop Wahap @ Sani Wahap, former State Assembly Member (ADUN) for Lambir - 2011
- Dato Ir. Abang Jemat Abang Bujang, Chief Executive Officer, Sacofa Sdn Bhd - 2011
- Dato Haji Abang Haji Talhata bin Haji Abang Hazemi, former Director, Sarawak Prisons Department - 2011
- Dato Koh Yaw Hui - 2011
- Dato Rugayah Abdul Majid - 2011
- Seyed Ali Dabier Moghaddam - 2011 (Honorary)
- James Chan Khay Syn, 4th Mayor of Council of the City of Kuching South - 2012
- Dato Temenggong Vincent Lau - 2015
- Datuk Paduka Muhammad Juanda Abdul Rashid - 2015 (Honorary)
- Brig. Gen. (R) Dato Muhammad Daniel Damian Abdullah, Commander, Brigade 9 Infantry (Brigade 9) - 2017
- Dato Haji Ahmad Lai bin Bujang, Member of Parliament for P218 Sibuti - 2017
- Dato Dr Yao Sik Chii, former Sarawak Director of Health - 2017
- Dato Rabiah Johari, Member of the State Public Service Commission - 2017
- Dato Sharkawi Alis - 2017
- Dato Alex Ting Kuang Kuo - 2017
- Temenggong Dato Helmi Mohd Gol - 2017
- Dato Bernard Agan Assan - 2017
- Dato Goh Leng Chua - 2017
- Dato Yepni @ Yet Adenan - 2017
- Sgt. (Rtd) Dato Awang anak Raweng, GC, former Iban Scout with the 10th Platoon, Company D, Worcestershire Regiment Battalion 1 - 2018
- Dato Yong Piaw Soon, Group Managing Director of Harbour-Link Group Bhd - 2018
- Dato Tan Jit Kee, Managing Director of Hong Seng Construction (E.M.) Sdn. Bhd. and President of the Kuching Chinese General Chamber of Commerce and Industry - 2018
- Dato Chieng Buong Toon, Deputy President II, Sarawak United Peoples' Party (SUPP) - 2018
- Dato Marcus Leong, Conductor, Simfoni Orkestra Negeri Sarawak (SONS) - 2018
- Dato Musa Giri - 2018
- Dato Dr Munirah Mohd Hassan - 2018 
- Ustaz Dato Ismawi Duet, Sarawak Islamic Religious Council - 2018
- Ustaz Dato Mustapha Kamal Ahmad Fauzi, Grand Imam of the State of Sarawak - 2018
- Dato Hj. Sulaiman Hj. Narawi, former Secretary, Sarawak Public Service Commission, and former Member of the Elections Commission - 2018
- Dato Janang Bungsu, Managing Director of Konsortium Bumi Consultants and Services Sdn Bhd - 2018
- Dato Philimon Nuing, Walikota of the Kapit District Council - 2018
Johan Bintang Sarawak (J.B.S.)Edit
Recipients of the Companion of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak (J.B.S.) include:-
- The Late Datuk Marcus Raja - 2004 (Posthumous)
- The Late Lawrence Th’ng Kok Kuang - 2004 (Posthumous)
- Datin Judith Satem Nee Palmer - 2004
- Dr Chou Chii Ming - 2004
- Jelaing Mersat, Malaysian Deputy Minister of Home Affairs - 2009
- Abang Mohamad Atei Abang Medaan, Mayor of Kuching North - 2009
- James Chan Khay Syn, Mayor of Kuching South - 2009
- Mohd. Amin Hassan, Executive Committee Member, Sarawak United National Youth Organisation (SABERKAS) - 2009
- Mohamed Ali Mohamed Sheriff - 2009
- Abang Amir Abang Latip - 2009
- Dayang Madinah Tun Abang Haji Openg - 2009
- Haw Min @ Chiew Min Wai, Penghulu for Niah - 2016
- Ting Hua Sing, Treasurer, Sarawak Progressive Democratic Party (SPDP) - 2016
Pegawai Bintang Sarawak (P.B.S.)Edit
Recipients of the Officer of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of Sarawak (P.B.S.) include:-
Ahli Bintang Sarawak (A.B.S.)Edit
- Douglas Uggah Embas, Political Secretary to the Chief Minister of Sarawak - 1985
- Koh Ek Chong, Councillor, Miri City Council - 2008
Bentara Bintang Sarawak (B.B.S.)Edit
- Douglas Uggah Embas, Political Secretary to the Chief Minister of Sarawak - 1984
- Honorary recipient.
- (Swk.G.N. 751/2003 p. 686)
- "Susunan Keutamaan Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Sarawak". Ceremonies & Internation Conventions Division, Prime Minister's Department. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Ketua Menteri Dapat Gelaran Pehin Sri". Rakan Sarawak. 9 February 2003. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- "Tun Salahuddin, Allahyarham Tok Nan, bergelar Pehin Sri". BH Online (in Malay). 2017-09-09. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- "Late Adenan Satem and former Sarawak head of state lead state awards". Bernama. Malay Mail. 9 September 2017. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- "Susunan Keutamaan Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang Dan Pingat - Sarawak". Bahagian Istiadat & Urusetia Persidangan Antarabangsa, Prime Minister's Department. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- "SEMAKAN PENERIMA DARJAH KEBESARAN, BINTANG DAN PINGAT". Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Mahathir heads Sarawak honours list". The Star (Malaysia). 22 July 2003. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Sarawak Yang di-Pertua Negri's 84th birthday honours list". The Star (Malaysia). 11 September 2005. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Chan, ex-IGP top award list". The Star (Malaysia). 9 September 2006. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "State secretary gets highest Sarawak award". The Star (Malaysia). 8 September 2007. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Sarawak Honours List 2008". The Star (Malaysia). 5 November 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Tunku Mahkota Johor dahului senarai penerima darjah kebesaran Sarawak" (in Malay). The Star (Malaysia). 24 October 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Sarawak Yang DiPertua Negeri's Birthday Honours list 2010". The Star (Malaysia). 19 October 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Yang Di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak 90th birthday honours list". The Star (Malaysia). 25 September 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Saai, Johnson (24 September 2011). "Asfia is now Datuk Amar". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Red-letter day for recipients". The Star (Malaysia). 8 September 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Sarawak's first architect gets Dato Sri". The Borneo Post. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Muhyiddin heads list of TYT birthday award recipients". The Borneo Post. 14 September 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Sibon, Peter; Cheng, Lian (13 September 2014). "Adenan a Datuk Patinggi". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Zahid heads list of 115 Sarawak state award recipients". Bernama. The Star (Malaysia). 9 September 2016. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Sarawak honours lists in conjunction with Governor's birthday". The Star Online. 13 October 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "SABATI president heads Sarawak state honours' list". BERNAMA. 12 October 2018. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- Mail, Rintos (12 October 2019). "SS heads TYT's birthday honours list". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Ursula dedicates life to improve women's living". The Borneo Post Online. 8 March 2011. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Sarawak Governor's 85th birthday honours". The Star. 10 September 2006. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- "Tunku Mahkota Johor ketuai senarai penerima darjah". Utusan Online. Archived from the original on 2018-08-29. Retrieved 2018-01-04.
- "Red-letter day for recipients". Vanes Devindran. The Star (Malaysia). 8 September 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "13 conferred state awards". Borneo Post. 9 September 2019. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- Ishak, Othman (14 October 2018). "CM's wife leads list of TYT award recipients". The Borneo Post Online. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Chua, Sam (6 May 2019). "Aeroville Shopping Mall opens". The Borneo Post Online. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Leong receives PSBS award for contribution to music advancement". The Borneo Post Online. 14 October 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Ketua Guru al-Quran dan Imam Besar Negeri diraikan". Utusan Borneo (Sarawak). 1 November 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Curriculum Vitae - Douglas Uggah Embas" (PDF). European Palm Oil Alliance. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Investor Relations: Board Of Directors". dayang.listedcompany.com. Retrieved 2018-01-04.