Today Extra is an Australian morning talk show, hosted by David Campbell and Sylvia Jeffreys. The show airs between 9:00am and 11:30am weekdays and follows the Nine Network's breakfast news program Today, with both programs closely interlinked. The show is broadcast from the Nine Network studios in North Sydney, a suburb located on the North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales.
|Genre||Morning show |
|Directed by||Wayne O'Donnell|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||7|
|Executive producers||Louisa Hatfield (2012–2013)|
Natasha Daran (2014–2016)
Mark Calvert (2017–2018)
Bree Dwyer (2018–2019)
|Production locations||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Running time||150 minutes (Weekdays)|
120 minutes (Saturdays)
|Original network||Nine Network|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||6 February 2012 –|
|Preceded by||Kerri-Anne (2002–2011)|
The show premiered on the Nine Network on 6 February 2012 as Mornings and features interviews, live music performances and segments on cooking, lifestyle, fashion and beauty, entertainment and a wide range of other topics. Mornings replaced the long-running Kerri-Anne.
In January 2015, Nine relaunched Mornings with a new set and logo. Wendy Kingston and Georgie Gardner filled in for Sonia Kruger whilst she was on maternity leave. Kingston presented on Monday and Gardner presented from Tuesday to Friday. They presented until Kruger returned on Monday 27 April.
On 5 May 2015, Mornings was extended to 11.30am. As a result, Nine's Morning News was moved to 11.30am.
In January 2016, Nine announced that Mornings would be rebranded as Today Extra to become an extension of the network's breakfast show Today. The show was moved to the Today studio, while keeping its focus on light entertainment and news updates.
In January 2019, Campbell was announced the new host of Weekend Today. He continued to host the program on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, with Richard Wilkins joining the show as co-host on Thursday and Friday. Campbell remained in the position until December 2019, it was announced that in 2020 David will host Today Extra full time with Richard Wilkins replacing him on Weekend Today.
In November 2019, Kruger announced her resignation from the Nine Network, with her last show on Friday 15 November. In December 2019, it was announced that Kruger's temporary replacement Sylvia Jeffreys will replace Kruger permanently upon her return from maternity leave in 2020. It was also announced that Campbell will return to hosting the show each weekday, with Wilkins moving to hosting Weekend Today.
On 9 March 2020, actress Rita Wilson appeared on the show in a segment hosted by David Campbell and Belinda Russell, filling in for Sylvia Jeffreys on maternity leave. Three days later, she was diagnosed with Coronavirus. As a result, the Nine Network ordered all program personnel who come into contact with Wilson, including Campbell and Russell, enter isolation. All employees were tested, and were confirmed as to not have contracted the illness.
|Sylvia Jeffreys[a]||Co-host (Monday-Thursday)||2019–present|
|Belinda Russell||Co-host (Friday)||2020–present|
- Belinda Russell is currently filling in for Sylvia Jeffreys who is on maternity leave.
|Richard Wilkins||Co-host (Thursday & Friday)||2019|
|Brad McKay||Health and lifestyle|
|Harry T||Ask The Psychic|
The first episode of Mornings attracted 104,000, trailing The Morning Show, which attracted 166,000 viewers. However, in October 2012, Mornings beat The Morning Show for the first time since its launch.
On 19 March 2016, six weeks after the relaunch to Today Extra, the program won the week against The Morning Show. This included a victory in Perth, which for many years has been Nine's weakest market ratings-wise. It was the first time The Morning Show lost a week in its nine-year history.
- Knox, David (29 January 2012). "Airdate: Mornings". TV Tonight. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Knox, David (24 January 2015). "Gallery: New Set For Nine's Mornings". TV Tonight. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Knox, David (19 April 2015). "Sonia Kruger Returning To Mornings". TV Tonight. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- Knox, David (27 April 2015). "Mornings To Extend to 11.30am". TV Tonight. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Knox, David (23 January 2016). "Mornings To Rebrand As Today Extra". TV Tonight. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- Knox, David (5 January 2019). "Deb Knight, Tom Steinfort Join Georgie on Today". TV Tonight. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- Knox, David (14 November 2019). "Sonia Kruger Confirms Nine Departure". TV Tonight. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Knox, David (18 December 2019). "Confirmed News, Sport & Weather Faces for Today Show". TV Tonight. Retrieved 18 December 2019.
- Knox, David (12 March 2020). "Nine acts on Willoughby studios after Rita Wilson visit". TV Tonight. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- Knox, David (15 March 2020). "Richard Wilkins Test Positive for Covid-19". TV Tonight. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- Knox, David (7 February 2012). "The Reality of Mondays". TV Tonight. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Knox, David (1 November 2012). "Mornings beats The Morning Show". TV Tonight. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Knox, David (20 March 2016). "Nine Takes Week From The Morning Show For First Time in 9 Years". TV Tonight. Retrieved 20 March 2016.