|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Established||10 December 1831|
|• President||José Guadalupe Coria Solís|
|• Total||183.927 km2 (71.015 sq mi)|
 (of seat)
|2,299 m (7,543 ft)|
| • Estimate |
(2015 Intercensal Survey)
|• Density||44/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central)|
The municipality of Morelos is located in the Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt in northern Michoacán at an elevation between 2,100 and 2,700 metres (6,900–8,900 ft). It borders the Michoacanese municipalities of Puruándiro to the northwest, Huandacareo to the east, Chucándiro to the southeast, Huaniqueo to the southwest, and Jiménez to the northwest. It also borders the municipality of Yuriria in Guanajuato to the northeast. The municipality covers an area of 183.927 square kilometres (71.015 sq mi) and comprises 0.31% of the state's area.
As of 2009, the land cover in Morelos consists of temperate forest (30%), grassland (13%), and tropical forest (5%). Another 49% of the land is used for agriculture and 2% consists of urban areas. Morelos is located in the Lerma River basin. There are small reservoirs named Epitacio Huerta and Caballerias in the municipality, which are used for agricultural irrigation.
Morelos has a temperate climate with rain in the summer. Average temperatures in the municipality range between 14 and 18 °C (57–64 °F), and average annual precipitation ranges between 800 and 1,000 millimetres (31–39 in).
The place now known as Morelos was originally called Huango, and was part of the Tarascan state in pre-Hispanic Mexico. Huango was one of the 61 municipalities created in Michoacán in 1831. In 1898, the municipal seat was renamed Huango de Morelos. In 1902 the seat was renamed Villa Morelos and the municipality itself renamed Morelos.
The municipal government comprises a president, a councillor (Spanish: síndico), and seven trustees (regidores), four elected by relative majority and three by proportional representation. The current president of the municipality is José Guadalupe Coria Solís.
In the 2010 Mexican Census, the municipality of Morelos recorded a population of 8091 inhabitants living in 2123 households. The 2015 Intercensal Survey estimated a population of 7806 inhabitants in Morelos.
The main economic activity in Morelos is agriculture. Corn is the main crop, followed by forage oats.
- "Sistema Nacional de Información Municipal" (in Spanish). SEGOB. 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Morelos". Enciclopedia de los Municipios y Delegaciones de México (in Spanish). INAFED. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Morelos: Datos generales". Cédulas de información municipal (in Spanish). SEDESOL. 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Panorama sociodemográfico de Michoacán de Ocampo 2015 (PDF) (in Spanish). INEGI. 2016. p. 130. ISBN 978-607-739-850-9. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Consulta de Códigos Postales". Catálogo Nacional de Códigos Postales. Mexican Postal Service. 26 December 2020. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Morelos, Michoacán de Ocampo" (PDF). Prontuario de información geográfica municipal de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos (in Spanish). INEGI. 2009. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morelos Municipal Council (23 March 2016). "Plan de Desarrollo Municipal". Periódico Oficial del Estado de Michoacán, 3a. Secc. (in Spanish). Government of Michoacán. p. 28. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Estado de Michoacán de Ocampo. División Territorial de 1810 a 1995 (PDF) (in Spanish). Mexico: INEGI. 1996. pp. 158–159. ISBN 970-13-1501-4.
- Aparicio, Beatriz (25 September 2018). "Configuración política de Michoacán 2018-2021". Alcaldes de México (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Resumen municipal: Municipio de Morelos". Catálogo de Localidades (in Spanish). SEDESOL. Retrieved 27 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)