This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mopti is the fifth administrative region of Mali, covering 79,017 km2. Its capital is the city of Mopti. During the 2012 Northern Mali conflict, the frontier between Southern Mali which is controlled by the central government and the rebel-held North ran through Mopti Region.
Location within Mali
|• Total||79,017 km2 (30,509 sq mi)|
|• Density||26/km2 (67/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC±0 (UTC)|
low · 7th
The region is separated into several areas: the Inland Niger Delta around Mopti, the Bandiagara cliffs and the plain of Bankass along the Burkina Faso frontier. Mount Hombori, the highest point in Mali at 1153 meters, is in the Mopti Region, near the city of the same name.
In terms of its climate, Mopti Region is considered part of the Sahel.
Transportation and economyEdit
The region is well-irrigated and its agriculture is well-developed, with particularly successful fishing. Mopti serves as an important commercial crossroads between Mali's north, south and bordering nations. Tourism is also well-developed, notably in the cities of Djenné and Mopti (the former of which boasts the Great Mosque of Djenné, the largest mud structure in the world) and in Dogon country.
Though Mopti's location, once a Bozo village named Sanga, had long been inhabited, rapid expansion began under Seku Amadu's Massina Empire around 1820. Expansion continued under the Toucouleur Empire of El Hadj Umar Tall as well as the French colonial administration.
|Cercle name||Area (km2)||Population
- Resultats Provisoires RGPH 2009 (Région de Mopti) (PDF) (in French), République de Mali: Institut National de la Statistique
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- Mali: Mopti, the last frontier before Sharia law, France 24, 4 October 2012, archived from the original on 23 January 2013
- Communes de la Région de Mopti (PDF) (in French), Ministère de l’administration territoriale et des collectivités locales, République du Mali, archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-09-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mopti Region.|
- Official site for the Mopti Region.
- Synthèse des 108 Plans Communaux de Sécurité Alimentaire de la Région de Mopti 2007-2011 (PDF) (in French), Commissariat à la Sécurité Alimentaire, République du Mali, USAID-Mali, 2007.
This article was significantly expanded from the corresponding article from the French Wikipedia, retrieved on July 10, 2005.