Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
|Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust|
|Type||NHS foundation trust|
|Established||21 March 1994|
|Headquarters||162 City Road |
|Hospitals||Moorfields Eye Hospital|
The Trust employs over 1,700 people. Over 24,000 ophthalmic operations are carried out and over 300,000 patients are seen by the hospital each year. The trust delivers its services from its main site on City Road and through its distributed network of over 20 other 'satellite' clinics located in other parts of London and the South East including Ealing, Teddington, Tooting, Mile End, Harrow and Tottenham. Backing up NHS Direct, Moorfields has a specialised ophthalmic telephone advice line, Moorfields Direct.
In addition to its NHS clinical services Moorfields also has a number of commercial services: a Private care service (Moorfields Private Patients), a corporate venturing subsidiary (Moorfields Ventures) and a pharmaceutical manufacturing service (Moorfields Pharmaceuticals).
The trust requires a full funding agreement for "any and all treatment" in advance of accepting NHS referrals from outside England. It was owed more than £600,000 in 2015 for treatments in the previous three years, against invoices totalling just over £1m.  It increased private income to 10% (15% if income from Dubai is included) from 2014 to 2016. About 25% of patients using private services came from overseas.
It was named by the Health Service Journal as one of the top hundred NHS trusts to work for in 2015. At that time it had 1611 full-time equivalent staff and a sickness absence rate of 3.6%. 88% of staff recommend it as a place for treatment and 74% recommended it as a place to work.
- "The Moorfields Eye Hospital National Health Service Trust (Establishment) Order 1994". legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Contact details - Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust". Care Quality Commission. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Annual Report and Accounts 2018/19" (PDF). Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Commissioners approve new specialist hospital". Health Service Journal. 17 February 2020. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- "English trust to take hard line on payments for Scottish, Welsh and Irish patients". Health Service Journal. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "NHS expands private care to help fill £20bn funding gap". Financial Times. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "HSJ reveals the best places to work in 2015". Health Service Journal. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.