Monte San Savino is a town and comune in the province of Arezzo, Tuscany (Italy). It is located on the Essa stream in the Valdichiana. Several of its frazioni occupy higher hills, like Gargonza at 560 metres (1,840 ft) and Palazzuolo, at an elevation of 600 metres (2,000 ft).
Monte San Savino
|Città di Monte San Savino|
|Frazioni||Alberoro, Dreini, Gargonza, Montagnano, Palazzuolo, Verniana|
|• Mayor||Gianni Bennati|
|• Total||89.66 km2 (34.62 sq mi)|
|Elevation||330 m (1,080 ft)|
(3o November 2017)
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Savinus|
|Saint day||December 7|
Monte San Savino was one of the first urban settlements in Tuscany, Italy. It originated around 1100, but a further century had to pass before Monte San Savino could be considered a centre of a certain social, political and cultural importance of Tuscany in those times. But it is no longer now.
- Palazzo di Monte
- Logge dei Mercanti
- Palazzo Pretorio
- Church of Santi Tiburzio and Susanna (13th century), at Gargonza, housing Tuscan Renaissance paintings.
- Church of the misericordia (1175, rebuilt in 1749). Its organ is one of the most ancient in Italy.
- Convent of Sant'Agostino (early 14th century, enlarged in the 16th century). It has a cloister from 1532. Both the church and the cloister were renovated by Andrea Sansovino (who was born here) in the early 16th century. The interior houses paintings by Spinello Aretino's school, by Paolo Schiavo and one Assumption by Giorgio Vasari.
- Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Vertighe, rebuilt in the 16th century. It houses a fresco of the Virgin Enthroned with Child by Margaritone d'Arezzo.
- OPEM Chainsaws Inc.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
Media related to Monte San Savino at Wikimedia Commons