The Monmouth Cup is an American Thoroughbred horse race run annually at Monmouth Park in Oceanport, New Jersey each fall and is open to horses, age three and up, willing to race one and one-eighth miles on the dirt. The race was held at Meadowlands Racetrack and called the Meadowlands Cup until 2010, when it was moved to Monmouth Park. A Grade III event, it currently carries a purse of $100,000.
|Grade III race|
Oceanport, New Jersey
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Distance||1 1⁄8 miles|
|Qualification||Three-year-olds & up|
Inaugurated in 1977 at a distance of 1 1⁄4 miles, it was modified to its present 1 1⁄8 miles in 1990. The 1990 running posed one of the largest upsets in North American racing history when Great Normand won at 181-1 odds. There was no race held in 1997 or 2011. The race was downgraded from a Grade II to a Grade II in 2017, and the purse was reduced to $100,000 from the previous $200,000.
The Monmouth Cup (G3) is the third leg of the Mid Atlantic Thoroughbred Championships Long Dirt Division or MATCh Races. MATCh is a series of five races in five separate thoroughbred divisions run throughout four Mid-Atlantic States including; Pimlico Race Course and Laurel Park Racecourse in Maryland; Delaware Park Racetrack in Delaware; Parx, Philadelphia Park and Presque Isle Downs in Pennsylvania and Monmouth Park in New Jersey.
Speed record: (at current distance of 1 1⁄8 miles)
- 1:46.00 - K. J.'s Appeal (1998)
Most wins by a jockey:
Most wins by a trainer:
- 2 - Ron McAnally (1977, 1992)
- 2 - Robert J. Frankel (1982, 1993)
- 2 - Todd A. Pletcher (2004, 2006)
- 2 - Kiaran McLaughlin (2009, 2010)
- 2 - Eddie Kenneally (2015, 2016)
Most wins by an owner:
- 2 - Darley Stable (2009, 2010)
- 2- Joseph W. Sutton (2015, 2016)
Winners of the Meadowlands CupEdit
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2010-03-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Sharp Azteca Breezes in Monmouth Cup". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2017-08-01.