This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mohmand District (Pashto: مومندو ولسوالۍ, Urdu: ضِلع مہمند) is a district in Peshawar Division of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. Until 2018, it was an agency of Federally Administered Tribal Areas, with merger of FATA with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, it became a district. It was created as an agency in 1951. Mohmand is bordered by Bajaur District to the north, Khyber District to the south, Malakand and Charsadda districts to the east and Peshawer district to the south east.
District map of FATA and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. Districts of FATA are shown in orange, and the Mohmand Agency is located in the north.
|Established||1951 (as an agency of Federally Administered Tribal Areas)|
|Number of Tehsils||7|
|• Deputy Commissioner||Mr. IFTIKHAR ALAM (PAS)|
|• Total||2,296 km2 (886 sq mi)|
|• Density||200/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
|Main language(s)||Pashto (99.8%)|
Mr. Iftikhar Alam (PAS) was posted as deputy commissioner ( political agent) of Mohmand Agency on 15 November 2018.
Mohmand District is currently subdivided into seven tehsils:
The current population of Mohmand Agency is 466,984 as per the report, with an annual growth rate of 1.77. The population was 334,453 as per the 1998 Census.
War on TerrorEdit
Despite its attraction for tourists, Mohmand Agency has been an area of conflict between Pakistan Army and some militant groups. In a recent exchange of fire between the two, the media reported that at least 18 militants were killed and 25 others were injured.
On September 16, 2011, security forces cleared ninety percent of Mohmand Agency from the militants, normal life was restored and development activities were launched. The Pakistan Army maintains an 8,200-man presence in Mohmand Agency following military operations to clear the region of militants.
In 2012, the Pakistani Army declared full control of Mohmand agency and de-notified it as a conflict zone.
- "DISTRICT AND TEHSIL LEVEL POPULATION SUMMARY WITH REGION BREAKUP [PDF]" (PDF). www.pbscensus.gov.pk. 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2018-03-25.
- 1998 Census report of Mohmand Agency. Census publication. 139. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 2001. p. 20.
- "Pakistan suicide bomb attack kills dozens". BBC News. London, UK. 2010-12-06.
- Fida, Noman (2011-04-14). "Forces Kill 18 militants in Mohmand Agency". The News Tribe. Bradford, UK.
- "90% of Mohmand Agency cleared of militants; IDPs return home". The Nation. Lahore, Pakistan: Nawa-i-Waqt. 2011-09-16. Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- Hosain, Quatrina (2011-11-30). "'Unprovoked': DGMO gives details of aerial assault". The Express Tribune. Karachi, Pakistan.
- Ali, Zulfiqar (2012-08-06). "South Waziristan operation: Only Sararogha cleared in three years". Dawn. Karachi, Pakistan: Pakistan Herald Publications.