Mohammed Saghir (also transliterated Mohammed Sanghir) is an elderly Pakistani who was held by the U.S. military in the United States Guantanamo Bay detention camps, in Cuba. His Guantanamo Internment Serial Number was 143. Joint Task Force Guantanamo counter-terrorism analysts estimate he was born in 1952, in Khohestan, Pakistan.
|Born||1952 (age 68–69)|
|Alternate name||Mohammad Sanghir|
|Status||Repatriated in October 2002.|
Saghir was released together with two even more elderly Afghan men, and one younger Afghan man.
On April 25, 2011, whistleblower organization WikiLeaks published formerly secret assessments drafted by Joint Task Force Guantanamo analysts. Saghir's assessment was dated September 27, 2002, and was two pages long.  His assessment was signed by camp commandant Michael E. Dunlavey who recommended release or transfer to the control of another country. Historian Andy Worthington, author of The Guantanamo Files, repeated the justification for Saghir's detention -- "his knowledge of General Dostum's treatment of captured personnel transported from Kunduz to Sheberghan". Worthington called it "...a low point in the feeble reasons given for transfer to Guantánamo, as it involved US forces suggesting that they took him halfway round the world to an experimental prison outside the law simply to find out more about how their close ally had been murdering prisoners of war."
Suing the USAEdit
Le Monde interviewEdit
According to Le Monde, Mohammed Sanghir said he had been in Afghanistan for three months prior to the al Qaeda attacks of September 11, 2001. He was Captured in Kunduz, a Taliban enclave in the North of Afghanistan, with 250 other people, who were loaded into a large shipping container, for the trip to General Dostum's prison at Sheberghan: Sanghir said 50 of his companions died:
They were screaming for water, they were banging their heads against the walls and there, right there beside me, they died.
Mohammed Sanghir said he was held for 45 days in Sheberghan before he was first interrogated. After several months in Afghanistan, where he was forcibly shaved, Sanghir said a female interrogator told him he was being sent to a better place. However, he reported, while still bound, he and his companions were thrown off the plane that took them to Guantanamo, and endured a brutal beating.
Mohammed Sanghir said he was interrogated twenty times while at Guantanamo:
The questions were always the same, just presented in different ways. First, they showed me photographs of members of al-Qai'da to find out if I knew them; then they asked me if there were any al-Qai'da members around me; they wanted to know if I'd met bin Laden and if I'd be able to recognise him. The photos were of people who looked like Afghans or Arabs.
McClatchy News Service interviewEdit
On June 15, 2008, the McClatchy News Service published a series of articles based on interviews with 66 former Guantanamo captives. Saghir was one of the former captives who had an article profiling him.
Saghir reports that when he was repatriated he found that his family had incurred debts of 1.2 million rupees in his absence—to search for his body, and to support themselves without his income.
Mohammed Saghir told his McClatchy interviewer that he was captured in a stream of refugees, not on a battlefield. He said he was shipped in a metal shipping container to General Dostum's Sherberghan prison. He said he saw many other captives die during the months he spent there. He describe religious persecution in Guantanamo. He participated in a hunger strike and was subjected to force-feeding.
Pakistan Observer interviewEdit
The Pakistan Observer published a new interview with Sarheer on March 8, 2012. According to the article he asserted "No one among the prisoners knew as to who had planned the 9/11 attacks ... Person like me neither knew WTC nor Osama or Al-Qaeda,"
Saghir also described female GIs sexually harassing him.
- OARDEC (May 15, 2006). "List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "'They interrogated us for hours'". The Guardian. October 22, 2002. Retrieved 2008-06-17. mirror
- "Afghans Describe Life Inside Gitmo". CBS News. October 29, 2002. Archived from the original on June 17, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-17.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "The oldest of the old: First 'hardcore' suspects freed from Camp Delta.. three Afghans, combined age 196". The Mirror. October 30, 2002. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- "Mohammad Sanghir – The Guantánamo Docket". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
Christopher Hope; Robert Winnett; Holly Watt; Heidi Blake (2011-04-27). "WikiLeaks: Guantanamo Bay terrorist secrets revealed -- Guantanamo Bay has been used to incarcerate dozens of terrorists who have admitted plotting terrifying attacks against the West – while imprisoning more than 150 totally innocent people, top-secret files disclose". The Telegraph (UK). Archived from the original on 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
The Daily Telegraph, along with other newspapers including The Washington Post, today exposes America's own analysis of almost ten years of controversial interrogations on the world's most dangerous terrorists. This newspaper has been shown thousands of pages of top-secret files obtained by the WikiLeaks website.
- "WikiLeaks: The Guantánamo files database". The Telegraph (UK). 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
"Mohammad Sanghir: Guantanamo Bay detainee file on Mohammad Sanghir, US9PK-000143DP, passed to the Telegraph by Wikileaks". The Telegraph (UK). 2011-04-27. Archived from the original on 2012-09-26. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
Recommendation: Release or transfer to the control of another country
- Michael E. Dunlavey (2002-09-27). "Transfer Recommendation for GTMO detainee, Mohammed Saghir, ISN: US9PK-000143DP" (PDF). Joint Task Force Guantanamo. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-04-17. Retrieved 2012-09-26. Media related to File:ISN 00143, Mohammed Saghir's Guantanamo detainee assessment.pdf at Wikimedia Commons
- Andy Worthington (2011-07-13). "WikiLeaks and the Guantánamo Prisoners Released from 2002 to 2004 (Part Three of Ten)". Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Pakistani says life in ruins after Guantanamo jail". Khaleej Times. September 11, 2006. Archived from the original on June 17, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-17. - mirror mirror
- LHC to hear damages suit by former Guantanamo detainee, Daily Times, June 24, 2004
Tahir Khan (2012-09-27). "Diaries of ex-Gitmo detainee: Reminding Obama of a 'broken promise'". Pakistan Tribune. Archived from the original on 2012-09-26.
A former inmate of the Guantanamo Bay detention centre reminded President Obama of his repeated promises to shut the notorious facility — where dozens of detainees continue to languish without trial.
- "Cuba:Escape from Camp Delta". Le Monde. March 11, 2004. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-03.
- Tom Lasseter (June 15, 2008). "Guantanamo Inmate Database: Page 1". Miami Herald. Archived from the original on March 4, 2009. Retrieved 2008-06-16. mirror
- Tom Lasseter (June 15, 2008). "Guantanamo Inmate Database: Mohammed Sagheer". Miami Herald. Archived from the original on September 20, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-16. mirror
"Guantánamo's detainees unaware of Osama, WTC". Pakistan Observer. 2012-03-08. Archived from the original on 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
The former Guantánamo Bay's Prisoner said that he was tortured by using various methods and was sexually harassed by American women in the prison during his detention.