Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium
The Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium (Arabic: ستاد محمد بن زايد) is a multi-purpose stadium in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. It is currently used mostly for football and cricket matches and is the home ground of Al Jazira Club. It is named after Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium during 2019 AFC Asian Cup
|Full name||Al-Jazira Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium|
United Arab Emirates
|Record attendance||40,893 United Arab Emirates-Australia|
(6 September 2016)
|UAE national football team (some matches)|
The stadium's original capacity was 15,000 but it is currently being expanded which will increase its capacity and make it into an ultra-modern air-conditioned sporting arena. The expansion project also includes two residential towers to be built on the stadium. Half of the project was completed by December 2006 and the stadium hosted the 18th Arabian Gulf Cup the next month. The UAE won the tournament in the stadium which held 24,000 spectators. The stadium was expanded again for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
2019 AFC Asian CupEdit
Mohammed bin Zayed Stadium hosted seven games of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup, including a Round of 16, quarter-final and semi-final match.
During the semifinal match between Qatar and the tournament host United Arab Emirates, the UAE supporters threw bottles and footwears into the pitch. This conduct was preceded by booing the Qatari national anthem. Qatar won 4–0 despite the situation, reaching their first Asian Cup final.
|Date||Time||Team No. 1||Res.||Team No. 2||Round||Attendance|
|7 January 2019||20:00||Iran||5–0||Yemen||Group D||5,301|
|11 January 2019||17:30||Philippines||0–3||China PR||Group C||16,013|
|15 January 2019||17:30||Palestine||0–0||Jordan||Group B||20,843|
|17 January 2019||17:30||Oman||3–1||Turkmenistan||Group F||8,338|
|20 January 2019||21:00||Iran||2–0||Oman||Round of 16||31,945|
|24 January 2019||20:00||China PR||0–3||Iran||Quarter-finals||19,578|
|29 January 2019||18:00||Qatar||4–0||United Arab Emirates||Semi-finals||38,646|
- "2019 AFC Asian Cup Welcome Guide". Asian Football Confederation. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Qatar 4-0 United Arab Emirates". BBC. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Aditya (29 January 2019). "Watch: Fans throw shoes at the Qatar players after Almoez Ali scores their second goal against the UAE in the AFC Asian Cup 2019". Fox Sports Asia. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "With Shoes and Insults Flying, Qatar Beats U.A.E. and Advances to Asian Cup Final". The New York Times. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Asian Cup: Qatar pelted with shoes by hostile UAE fans as they thrash hosts 4-0 to reach final". South China Morning Post. 30 January 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.