Mohammed Ahmed (runner)
- For others named Muhammad Ahmed, see the Muhammad Ahmed navigation page
Mohammed Ahmed (born January 5, 1991) is a Canadian long-distance runner who competed in the 10,000 meter races at the 2012 and 2016 Summer Olympics and the 2013 World Championships in Athletics. He has also ran the eleventh fastest indoor 5000m in history in Boston in 2017. 
Ahmed at the 2016 Olympics
|Born||January 5, 1991|
|Residence||St. Catharines, Ontario|
|Height||179 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||58 kg (128 lb)|
|Sport||Track, Long-distance running|
|Event(s)||5000 meters, 10,000 meters|
|College team||University of Wisconsin–Madison|
|Coached by||Mick Byrne|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||5000 meters: 13:01.74 NR|
10,000 meters: 27:02.35 NR
Mohammed Ahmed was born in Mogadishu, Somalia to Said Yusuf and Halimo Farah, and he moved to Canada at the age of 11. He began running track at the age of 16. Mohammed Ahmed's family is originally from Hargeisa, Somaliland.
Before college, Mohammed Ahmed was the Canadian Junior 5000 m champion on four occasions, and twice finished in the top 10 at World Junior Championships (4th in 2010, 9th in 2008), to go along with 2 Canadian senior titles in the event. Ahmed's resume also includes a Pan American Junior title.
Ahmed attended the St. Catharines Collegiate and Ahmed attended University of Wisconsin–Madison until he graduated in the summer of 2014. During his time at college he amassed 11 NCAA All-American awards in track and cross country and an Olympic berth in the 10,000 m at the 2012 London Olympic Games. At the 2013 World Championships in Moscow, Mohammed clocked the best time over 10,000 m in Canadian history with his 9th-place finish, almost equaling his lifetime best in the process with a 27:35.76 result.
Ahmed was nominated for Sports Person of the Year at the International Somali Awards 2018.
- "Mohammed Ahmed profile". IAAF. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "Mohammed Ahmed". olympic.ca. Canadian Olympic Committee. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Baggot, Andy (July 18, 2012). "Olympics: Badgers' Mohammed Ahmed to race against his idols in London".
- All-Athletics. "Profile of Mohammed Ahmed".
- "Mohammed Ahmed". panam.cbc.ca. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- "5000 Metres - men - senior - indoor | iaaf.org". www.iaaf.org. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Bergsma, Marlene (August 6, 2012). "Family thrilled with Ahmed's Olympic experience". Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Top-10 finish for Mo: Ahmed shines on international stage. University of Wisconsin-Madison Badgers (August 10, 2013)
- RunnerSpace. "2016 Prefontaine Classic Results".
- IAAF. "2017 IAAF World Championships Results".
- "Home - International Somali Awards". International Somali Awards. Retrieved January 26, 2018.