This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dr. Mohammad Shtayyeh (Arabic: محمد اشتية) (born 17 January 1958) is the Prime Minister of the Palestinian National Authority and economic expert born in Tell, Nablus, in 1958. He served as minister of public works and housing, and minister of the Palestinian Economic Council for Development and Reconstruction and holds a doctorate in economic development from the University of Sussex. He worked as a professor and dean at Birzeit University and has published several books on economics, politics and history.
|Prime Minister of the Palestinian Authority|
|Assumed office |
14 April 2019
|Preceded by||Rami Hamdallah|
|Minister of the Palestinian Economic council|
|Assumed office |
|Member Of The Central Committee|
|Assumed office |
|Born||17 January 1958|
|Alma mater||University of SussexBirzeit University|
- PhD, Institute for Development Studies, Sussex University – Brighton, UK, 1989.
- M.A., Institute for Development Studies, Sussex University – Brighton, UK, 1983.
- B.A., Business Administration and Economics, Birzeit University, Birzeit, Palestine, 1976–1981
- Palestinian Economic Council for Development and Reconstruction.—PECDAR
- MINISTER, 1996 to Present: Management of an investment fund worth over $1.6 billion and implementation and monitoring all national projects for Palestine funded by the Palestinian National Authority and international partners.
- ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE DIRECTOR, 1994-1996. Maintained donor databases and provided financing for development projects funded by PECDAR; monitored and reported on all project allocations and utilizations; and established transparent and sound financial management and reporting systems recognized by international partners and donors.
- Islamic Bank
- PALESTINE GOVERNOR , 2005 to Present: establishment of priorities for assistance to Palestine; negotiation of annual aid to be provided for Palestine projects; and participation in annual meetings including delivering annual speech setting out guidelines and priorities for development funding in Palestine.
- Ministry of Public Works and Housing, Palestinian National Authority
- MINISTER, 2005-2006 and 2008-2010. Established priorities for the establishment of new towns in Palestine as well as expansion of existing towns and villages; established institutions for housing mortgages; developed a national strategy for housing and a master plan for road networks; and oversaw the implementation of plans for road, water, and sewage networks. During his term in office, the Ministry received praise from donor countries including USAID.
- Central Elections Commission, Palestinian National Authority
- SECRETARY-GENERAL, 1995-1998. Negotiated with Israeli counterparts on logistics and conduct of Palestinian elections; Supervised the first Palestinian national elections for the Palestinian Legislative Council as well as for the Presidency; and organized and coordinated logistics for the monitoring of elections by international election observers.
- Birzeit University, Birzeit, Palestine
- DEAN OF STUDENT AFFAIRS, 1991-1993. Managed university affairs as a member of the university council; introduced election debates as a part of student election process; established guidelines and verification systems for need-based financial aid disbursements .
- PROFESSOR OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, 1989-1991. Lectured and instructed on the following courses: Economic Development Theory, Macro and Micro Economics, Arab Economic Development, and Palestinian Economy.
Dr. Shtayyeh's experience in Palestinian-Israeli negotiations spans two decades beginning with the 1991 Madrid Talks in which he headed the advance team to establish the parameters for negotiations with Israeli counterparts. Dr. Shtayyeh has been a member of the Palestinian delegation during the Washington Talks, the talks on the interim agreements, and all final status negotiations including the most recent talks initiated by Secretary John Kerry . Dr. Shtayyeh has also participated in the Ad Hoc Liaison Committee to coordinate donor support for Palestine and is the head of the delegation for multilateral talks with the Regional Economic Development Working Group concerned with problem-solving regional trade, finance and infrastructure issues. As Secretary-General of the Palestinian Central Elections Commission, Dr. Shtayyeh concluded an agreement with Israel concerning cooperation with the conduct of Palestinian presidential and legislative elections and he negotiated, with others, the text agreement on elections with Israel. Dr. Shtayyeh continues to act as a senior advisor to President Mahmoud Abbas on negotiations with Israel.
- President, Board of Trustees, Arab American University, Jenin.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Al-Quds University, Jerusalem.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Al Najah University, Nablus.
- Member, Board of Palestinian Academy for Security Sciences of Alistiqlal University
- Member , Board of Trustees of Middle East Nonviolence Association.
- Member, Palestinian Development Fund.
- Member, National Committee for Voluntary Work.
- Founding member, Palestine Housing Council.
- President, Board of Palestinian Economists Association.
- Advisory Board, Information and Communication Committee, Office of the President
- Head, Syria Relief Campaign 2012.
- . Al Mokhtasar Fi Tareekh Falastin. Dar AlShouk Beirut .2015 (In Arabic )
- . Israeli settlements and The Erosion of Two-States Solution. Dar AlShorouk.Beirut.2015
- • The Palestinian Economy in the Transitional Period. PECDAR, 3d ed., 2010.
- • A Jerusalem Developmental Vision, PECDAR, 2010.
- • The Encyclopedia of Palestinian Terms and Concepts, Palestinian Center for Regional Studies, 2009.
- • Ikleel Men Shawk (Wreath of Thorns) Arab Scientific Publishers. Beirut, 2009. Collection of short stories.
- • The Economies of Islamic Waqf in the Lands of the Palestinian Authority, (with Abdul Aziz Douri & Nael Mousa), PECDAR, 1sted. 2000 (Arabic) and 2nd ed. 2006 (Arabic).
- • Housing Policy in Palestine, Ministry of Public Works & Housing, Ramallah, 2006.
- • Israel's Disengagement from the Gaza Strip, (with Tim Sheehi & Eyad Ennab), PECDAR, 2006.
- • Palestine: Country Profile, PECDAR, 2006.
- • Editor, Vision for Palestine, PECDAR, Jerusalem, 2005.
- • Editor, Municipalities and Local Government Units in Palestine – Establishment, Function and its Role in Economic Development, PECDAR, Jerusalem, 2004.
- • Editor, The Islamic Movements in the Middle East. Palestinian Center for Regional Studies. Al-Bireh, 2000.
- • The Future of the Jewish Settlements. Palestinian Center for Regional Studies, Al-Bireh, 2000.
- • Israel in the Region: Conflict, Hegemony, or Cooperation, Palestinian Center for Regional Studies, Al-Bireh, 1998.
- • Private-Sector Credits: Donor Assistance, PECDAR, Jerusalem, 1998.
- • The Politics of the Middle East Development Bank, Palestinian Center for Regional Studies, Al-Bireh, 1998.
- • Palestine: Building the Foundation of Economic Growth, PECDAR, 1st ed. 1987 and 2nd ed. 1998.
- • Editor, The Benelux: A Paradigm for the Middle East? Palestinian Center for Regional Studies. Al-Bireh, 1998.
- • Editor, Scenarios on the Future of Jerusalem. Palestinian Center for Regional Studies. Al-Bireh, 1998.
- • Editor, Labor Migration in the Middle East. Palestinian Center for Regional Studies. Al-Bireh, 1997.
- • A'naba: A Palestinian Destroyed Village, Birzeit University, Research Center, 1992.
- • The Israeli Immigration and Colonial Settlements: A Zero-sum Situation?, Peter Demand, ed., The Dynamics of Self-Determination. The Hague, 1991.
- • Ein Karem: A Palestinian Destroyed Village, Birzeit University, Research Center, 1982.
- Joe Dyke (10 March 2019). "Hamas further sidelined by appointment of new PA premier Shtayyeh". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- PA public works minister tenders resignation | Maan News Agency
- international partners; | PECDAR
- projects funded by PECDAR; | PECDAR
- Islamic Bank Development ; | Islamic Bank Website
- Ministry of Public Works and Housing | Maa'n News
- The First Central Elections Commission | Central Elections Commission
- DEAN OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | Birzeit University
- DEAN OF STUDENT AFFAIRS | Birzeit University
- Dr.shtayyeh experience
- Dar Alshorouk. Amman .Jordan'
- Palestinian Economic council for Development and Reconstruction
- The National Institute for Administration (NIA)
- The National Institute for Information Technology (NIIT)
- Islamic Development Bank
- 9th Cabinet of Palestine State
- Arab planning institute
- Dr.Shtayyeh Chairman of Board of Trustees Arab American University
- Alquds University
- Dr.Shtayyeh :Geneva-Iran, Geneva-Syria: Why not a Geneva conference for Palestine?
- / NYT Palestinians Put Gaza Reconstruction Cost at $7.8 Billion
- Washington post : Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas declares diplomatic war on Israel
- BBC Interview 2009