Since 2010, Rasoulof was sentenced many times by Iranian Revolutionary Court; Through their actions of censorship, the Iranian authorities do not only restrict Rasoulof’s individual but also his artistic freedom of expression. As a filmmaker and artist, Mohammad Rasoulof depicts the world that we live in, which is an important means for reflection and discussion.
His first feature-length film, The Twilight (Gagooman), was released in 2002 and was awarded with the Crystal Simorgh for the Best First Film at the Fajr Film Festival in Tehran. His second feature, Iron Island (Jazire-ye ahani), was released in 2005. His feature The White Meadows (Keshtzarha-ye sepid) was released in 2009.
Goodbye (Be omid-e didar) premiered at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival in the section Un Certain Regard and won the prize for directing. His film Manuscripts Don't Burn was also screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival where it won the FIPRESCI Prize. A Man of Integrity won the top prize in the Un Certain Regard section at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017. None of his films have been released in Iran.
Through their actions of censorship, the Iranian authorities do not only restrict Rasoulof’s individual but also his artistic freedom of expression. As a filmmaker and artist, Mohammad Rasoulof depicts the world that we live in, which is an important means for reflection and discussion.
In 2010 Rasoulof was arrested on set and was accused of filming without a permit. He was sentenced by the government of Iran to six years in prison. This was later reduced to one year. Since then he is out on bail, and is waiting for the sentence to be carried out.
In September 2017 his passport was confiscated upon his return to Iran, meaning he became mamnu' ol-xoruğ (Persian: ممنوع الخروج), i.e. banned from leaving the country. Furthermore, he was ordered to attend a court hearing.
On July 23, 2019 Rasoulof was convicted by the Revolutionary Court of Iran to one year imprisonment and a two year ban on leaving the country and on participation in social and political activity because of his film "A Man of Integrity". He is accused of "gathering and collusion against national security and of propaganda against the system". Around August 5, 2019 Rasoulof appealed the verdict. On his way to the court, in an act of professional solidarity, he and his lawyer were accompanied by some of the most renowned Iranian film directors and other film-persons, such as: Kianoush Ayyari, Majid Barzegar, Reza Dormishian, Asghar Farhadi, Bahman Farmanara, Rakhshān Banietemad, Fatemeh Motamed-Arya, Jafar Panahi, Hasan Pourshirazi and others.
- Silverdocs Film Festival Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine Mohammad Rasoulof Biography (in English)
- "Tribeca Film Festival" 03/03/2010 "Source 1" 12/23/2010
- "THE BERLINALE CALLS FOR SOLIDARITY WITH MOHAMMAD RASOULOF". BERLINALE. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- "Internet Movie Database" 03/17/2010 "Source 2" 12/23/2020
- Veli-Pekka Lehtonen, Elokuva nimeltä Tämä ei ole elokuva, Helsingin Sanomat, May 21, 2011 p. C 5
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Cannes: 'The Missing Picture' Wins Un Certain Regard Prize". Hollywood Reporter. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "THE BERLINALE CALLS FOR SOLIDARITY WITH MOHAMMAD RASOULOF". berlinale. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- Iranian Students News Agency 12/20/2010 "Source 3" 12/22/2010
- "Iran Confiscated Mohammad Rasoulof's Passport". www.hollywoodreporter. 18 September 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "Hamrahi-ye Chehreha-ye Shakhes-e Sinama-ye Iran ba Rasoulof ta Dadgah : Hame bara-ye yeki (Famous Person of Iranian Sinema Accompany Rasoulof to the Court : All for One)". hamdelidaily.ir. Retrieved 8 August 2019.(fa)
- Mohammad Rasoulof on IMDb
- International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran blog - 21 December 2010: Panahi’s Lawyer Concerned About Severe, Disproportionate Sentence
- Slant Magazine - Articles tagged "Mohammad Rasoulof"
- Silverdocs Film Festival - Biographical information for "Mohammad Rasoulof"
- Kino International - US distributor's presskit for Rasoulof's feature, "Iron Island"