Moelis & Company
Moelis & Company is a global independent investment bank that provides financial advisory services to corporations, governments, and financial sponsors. The firm advises on strategic decisions such as mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations and restructurings and other corporate finance matters.
|Traded as||NYSE: MC (Class A)|
Russell 2000 Component
|Founder||Kenneth D. Moelis|
|Headquarters||399 Park Avenue|
New York, New York, United States
|Revenue||$885.8 million (2018)|
Number of employees
It was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in New York, with 17 offices in North and South America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia. It has 900 employees including 600 investment bankers. Of the 127 managing directors, averaging more than 20 years of experience each, 62 are former sector and product heads.
Moelis operates from 19 offices globally across North and South America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia:
*Strategic Alliance with SMBC and SMBC Nikko
**Strategic Alliance with Alfaro, Dávila & Scherer
Moelis was founded in July 2007 by Ken Moelis and partners including Navid Mahmoodzadegan and Jeffrey Raich. The firm opened in New York and Los Angeles, and became a top 10 ranked M&A advisor in the US in its first full year of operations, advising on transactions such as Anheuser-Busch's $61.2 billion sale to InBev, Yahoo's defense from Microsoft's $44.6 billion unsolicited proposal, and Hilton Hotels' $26.5 billion sale to The Blackstone Group.
In July 2008, Moelis opened its restructuring practice by hiring the co-heads of Jefferies' restructuring and advising on the $22.2 billion reorganization of Delphi Automotive, and the $29.6 billion reorganization of AMR Corp and $17.0 billion merger with US Airways Group. Matthew Prest, the restructuring head of European corporate finance firm Close Brothers, soon followed with his team to join Moelis in London. Early European restructuring mandates included the £1.5 billion recapitalization of the Co-operative Bank and the €15.4 billion restructuring of Glitnir.
In June 2009 Mark Aedy joined Moelis as head of EMEA Investment Banking based in the London office. Early mandates in Europe included advising Natixis on the €30.0 billion disposal of most of its complex credit derivative portfolio.
In August 2009 Moelis opened an office in Sydney, Australia, led by a team from JP Morgan. In Australia, Moelis has advised SABMiller on the A$11.7 billion acquisition of Fosters Group, advised a consortium including Deutsche Bank, KKR and Värde Partners on the A$8.2 billion acquisition of GE Capital Australia & New Zealand Consumer Finance, and advised Centro Properties on the A$4.3 billion restructuring and A$5.0 billion merger of Australian interests.
The firm opened a Dubai office in January 2011  while advising the Government of Dubai on the $24.9 billion restructuring of its investment holding company, Dubai World. The firm also expanded into Asia by opening a Hong Kong office.
In January 2012, Moelis announced a strategic alliance agreement with the second largest Japanese bank, SMBC and its subsidiary SMBC Nikko. Together they have advised on significant cross-border M&A, including Osaka Securities Exchange's ¥278.4 billion combination with the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
In March 2014, the firm expanded into South America, opening an office in São Paulo, Brazil.
In April 2014, the firm completed its initial public offering and began trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Moelis had advised on over $1 trillion in transactions by the time of its IPO. Employees maintain ownership of the majority of the company.
In June 2014, Moelis established a private funds advisory business with four hires.
In April 2017, the firm held an initial public offering (IPO) for its Australian business, Moelis Australia.
Moelis has received a variety of awards, particularly highlighting the strengths of its Middle-East franchise and restructuring capabilities.
- Awards for Excellence, Euromoney 2013
- Best Investment Bank in the UAE, Euromoney 2013
- Awards for Excellence, Euromoney 2014
- Deals of the Year 2014, The Banker
- Most Innovative Investment Bank, Investment Banking Awards 2014, The Banker
- Most Innovative Investment Bank, Investment Banking Awards 2015, The Banker
- Deals of the Year 2015, The Banker
- Deals of the Year 2016, The Banker
- Best Investment Bank in the UAE, Euromoney 2016
- Middle East's Best Bank for Advisory 2018, Euromoney
- Awards for Excellence, Euromoney 2018
- Americas Restructuring Deal of the Year 2018 & Asia-Pacific Restructuring Deal of the Year 2018, The Banker
- M&A Deal of the Year 2019, Restructuring Deal of the Year in Europe 2019, Asia-Pacific Restructuring Deal of the Year 2019, The Banker
- [investors.moelis.com/file/4363272/Index?KeyFile=1001231978 "Moelis & Company Reports Record Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2016 Financial Results"] Check
|url=value (help). moelis.com. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Moelis & Company Overview Company Website
- Moelis & Company History Company Website
- "Overview – Moelis & Company". investors.moelis.com. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "Offices". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Moelis & Company Select Transactions". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- McCracken, Jeffrey. "Key Jefferies Hands Jumping to Moelis". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Mychasuk, Emiliya; Terazono, Emiko (2009-04-29). "Moelis debt man". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Moelis & Company Announces Matthew Prest and Charles Noel-Johnson to Join in Recapitalization & Restructuring". Reuters. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Mychasuk, Emiliya (2010-09-02). "Moelis circling". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Will Wall Street sink the Co-op?". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Press Release: Moelis & Company Announces Mark Aedy to Join as Head of Europe, Middle East and Africa Investment Banking". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Press Release: Moelis & Company Opens Sydney Office; Expands to Australia". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Press Release: Moelis & Company Opens Dubai Office; Expands to Middle East". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "Press Release: Moelis & Company Expands to Asia; Acquires Hong Kong-Based Asia Pacific Advisers". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "Press Release: Enhanced Business and Capital Alliance between Moelis & Company, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, and SMBC Nikko Securities Inc". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- "Moelis & Co opens Brazil unit as independent shops tap local M&A". Reuters., March 11, 2014
- "Moelis & Company Form 8-K". sec.gov. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "High-profile boutique advisory firm Moelis files for IPO". Marketwatch. Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- "Document Contents". investors.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-13.
- "Moelis Creates Private Equity Fund-Raising Team by Hiring From a Rival". New York Times DealBook., June 16, 2014
- "Moelis's Cantor to Seek Out Defense Clients in Washington". Bloomberg., February 24, 2015
- "Moelis & Company Overview" (PDF).
- "Press Release". www.moelis.com. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "Moelis & Company Wins Euromoney Magazine's Award for Best Investment Bank in the UAE – Moelis & Company". Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "Middle East's best bank for advisory 2018: Moelis & Co". Euromoney. Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "Moelis & Company Recognized for Restructuring Advisory in The Banker's 2018 Deals of the Year Awards – Moelis & Company". Retrieved 2019-11-10.
- "News – Moelis & Company". Retrieved 2019-11-10.