Mohamed Karim Sbihi MBE (born 27 March 1988) is an English rower. He is a dual Olympian and twice Olympic medal winner. He won a gold medal in the coxless four at 2016 Rio Olympics, and at the 2012 London Olympics he was in the British crew that won the bronze medal in the men's eight.
|Born||27 March 1988|
Kingston upon Thames, England
|Alma mater||St Mary's University, Twickenham|
|Height||6 ft 8 in (203 cm)|
|Weight||16 st 7 lb (231 lb; 105 kg)|
|Club||Molesey Boat Club|
Sbihi was born in Kingston upon Thames to a British mother and a Moroccan father. He studied Sport Science with Health, Nutrition & Exercise at St. Mary's University College, Twickenham on a sports scholarship from 2006 to 2010. Before he joined rowing team he played both association football and basketball.
At the age of 15, he was identified as a potentially successful oarsman by a talent-spotting programme and joined the GB Rowing World Class Start programme. Sbihi finished first in the junior men J15 category at the 2003 Great Britain Indoor Rowing Championships.
In 2013, he was part of the 8 men team that won gold at the World Rowing Championships. In 2014 he won gold medals in the coxless four at both the European Rowing Championships in Belgrade and the World Championships in Amsterdam. In 2015, he won gold at the World Championships for the third consecutive year.
- Majendie, Matt (11 February 2016). "Moe Sbihi interview: Top British rower aiming to make up for pain of 2012 Olympics". The Independent. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Barretto, Lawrence (2 August 2012). "Olympics rowing: GB bronze in men's eight won by Germany". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Caroline Cheese. "Human to Hero: Fast faith – Muslim rower's Olympic dilemma". CNN. Archived from the original on 7 October 2013. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Mohammed Sbihi learning fast about rowing demands". The Daily Telegraph. London. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Robert Kitson (3 May 2012). "London 2012 Olympics: Champions aren't made easily, says Mohamed Sbihi". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 28 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Live-written Commentary". The Rowing Foundation.
- Barretto, Lawrence (2 August 2012). "Olympics rowing: GB bronze in men's eight won by Germany". BBC Sport. Archived from the original on 6 April 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "New Zealand on a roll ahead of World Rowing Championships". Sportal. 22 August 2014. Archived from the original on 28 August 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- Ling, Thomas (5 August 2016). "Rio Olympics 2016: Who is Mohamed Sbihi?". Radio Times.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Great Britain win gold in men's four". BBC Sport. 12 August 2016.
- Sbihi, Moe (26 August 2016). "Mohamed Sbihi: The tears, parties and selfies of a gold medallist in Rio". i News.
- "Team GB stars dominate New Year's Honours List". Team GB. 30 December 2016.