|Elevation||219.16 m (719.03 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
City was founded in 1933 by Rai Bahadur Gujar Mal Modi who established the Modi Group of Industries here along with his brother, Kedar Nath Modi.It is approximately 45 kilometres north-east of New Delhi. It is approximately equally distant from Meerut and Ghaziabad because this city is situated at mid-way on Ghaziabad Meerut National Highway No. 58 It is best known as the home of Modi Mills. In recent years, Modinagar has been developed as an educational hub as many new institutions are being established in and around the city due to its location in National Capital Region.
It lies in Lat. 280 50' north and Long. 770 35' east, 25 km north-east of Ghaziabad.
Modinagar lies on the Delhi-Mussoorie National Highway (NH-58). Parallel to this road runs the Delhi-Saharanpur section of the Northern Railway. A metalled road, going to Hapur, originates from the city. Modinagar railway station is in between Meerut and Ghaziabad stations. Most of the major express trains as well as all general passenger trains from Delhi to Meerut-Haridwar-Dehradun route stop at this railway station.
Modinagar is a very popular place in Uttar Pradesh (UP). A famous landmark canal comes up on the way to Modinagar from Ghaziabad on National Highway 58 (NH 58), which is called the Upper Ganga Nehar.
Prior to its renaming in 1945, Modinagar was known as Begumabad. Gujarmal Modi sowed the seeds of development and progress for the town, which was earlier blighted by underdevelopment and lawlessness.
1933 was a watershed year for the erstwhile town of Begumabad, as the first sign of progress and revitalization was noticed through the construction of a sugar mill. Modi had a grand plan in store for the once decrepit town, as the sugar mill was the first edifice constructed by Modi, which ushered a wave of growth through commerce and industry while also creating much-needed employment opportunities in and around the region. The end of World War II in 1945, allowed the British Government to look back at the service provided by Modi’s organisations. To show their appreciation to Modi, the British government decided to confer knighthood on Gujarmal Modi. But Modi earnestly urged the British to confer on him the Indian title of Raja Bahadur, instead. However, that title was generally reserved for big landlords or those who owned a large proportion of village property. Since Modi did not satisfy either criterion, the British government decided to name the colony set up by Modi as Modinagar to pave the way for him to be conferred the title of Raja Bahadur. Hence, in 1945, Begumabad was officially renamed Modinagar, in honour of Gujarmal Modi and his contribution to the township over the years.
Gujarmal Modi not only ensured that Modinagar first developed and then thrived as an industrial hub, but he also made sure that the inhabitants of the town received ancillary benefits. Numerous social initiatives in education, public health and welfare were initiated in the town of Modinagar.
The present city of Modinagar was established in 16 oct 1933 by Rai Bahadur Gujar Mal Modi, with the establishment of a sugar factory in.Begumabad village, which contributed about 571 acres (2.31 km2) of its area to the making of this city, is a much older place and is said to have been founded by Nawab Zafar Ali and to have been named Begumabad by a lady of the royal family of Mughals in Delhi when this place passed into her hands.
Of late the city has transformed from an industrial township to a Major Education Hub. Major educational institutes operating in and around Modinagar are:
- Multanimal Modi Post Graduation College founded in 1957.
- DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research
- DJ College of Engineering And Technology
- Divya Jyoti College of Medical Sciences & Research
- Divya Jyoti College of Paramedical Sciences
- Dr. K.N.Modi institute of Engineering & Technology
- Dr K N Modi Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Research
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Institute, Sikri Kalan, Modinagar
- KNGD Modi Engineering College (KNGD)
- Modinagar Institute of Technology
- SRM University, (NCR Campus)
- Dr.k.N Modi Science and Commerce College, Modinagar
- Trinity International Public School, Muradnagar Road
- AMM Public School,Sonda Road,Modinagar
- Baal Baari public School
- Chayya Public School, Govindpuri
- Chayya Public School, Raj Chaupla
- Dayawati Modi Public School, Modinagar
- Dr.K.N Modi Global School
- Green Land Academy
- Heritage Academy
- J P Memorial Public School [ Village Sikri Khurd ].
- Madarsa Islamiya Jiyaul Quran - Bisokhar
- Maharishi Vidya Mandir
- Modern Academy
- St.Teresa's Academy
- Summerfield Public School, Govindpuri
- Tulsi Ram Maheshwari Public School, Modinagar
- Shiksha International School, Niwari
- TRM PBAS inter college founded in 1902
- TRM PBAS girls inter college founded in 1964
Villages in ModinagarEdit
- Abidpur Maniki
- Afrashah Pur
- Ajabpur Mangavali
- Amipur Badayala
- Amirpur Garhi
- Arifpur Ujaira
- Asadpur Nagal
- Asalat Nagar
- Aurang Nagar Kinapur
- Aurangabad Dateri
- Aurangabad Fazalgarh
- Aurangabad Gadana
- Baraka Arifpur
- Basantpur Saitli
- Dausa Banjarpur
- Ganga Rampur
- Hirdaipur Madaula
- Ishaq Nagar
- Jalalpur Didhar
- Jalalpur Raghunathpur
- Kharjivanpur Khimawati
- Kishan Chandpur Patti
- Lalifpur Tibra
- Makarmatpur Sikhera
- Milak/Milk Chakarpur
- Milak/Milk Ravali
- Mohammad Pur Sujanpur
- Mohammadpur Amad Baghpat
- Mohammadpur Dwedha
- Mohammadpur Kadim
- Muhiuddinpur Hisauli
- Muradgam Pur Parsi
- Nagala Musa
- Nagaula Amirpur
- Nagla Akkhu
- Nekpur Sabitnagar
- Niwari Dehat
- Raoli Kalan
- Rewadi Kheda
- Roshanpur Salaimabad Patti Jir
- Roshanpur Salimabad Patti Prat
- Saidpur Husainpur
- Sikhaida Hajari
- Sikri Kalan
- Sikri Khurd
- Sultan Nagar Chhajjupur
- Tauri 13 Biswa
- Tauri 7 Biswa
- Vidyapur Safiabad
- Yakutpur Mavi
- Yusufpur Isapur
- Yusufpur Manota
- Yusufpur Naglabair
Places to visitEdit
- Devi Maha Maya Mandir
This is a very old temple of Devi Maha Maya situated in Sikri Khurd, has great religious importance in the region. A fair is organized by the local administration every year on the occasion of the Holy Month of Navaratri where a huge crowd of devotees gather to pray before the goddess who is present there in another incarnation of Maha shakti. The Fair is famous for being the biggest fair for Donkey Trade where a lot of villagers gather to buy or sell their domesticated animals. This place is also having importance due to some incidents during 1857 revolution. During Navratri fair, garlic market is also a major event here.
- Laxmi Narayan Mandir
Modinagar has a famous Temple known as Laxmi Narayan Modi Mandir, also called as "Modi Mandir" by local people which is located in center of the city on National Highway 58, Total area of modinagar nagar palika 1,974.79 acres (7,991,700 m2) built up area of 1,184.87 acres (4,795,000 m2) approx.and green space area in modinagar city 789.91 acres (3,196,700 m2)
As per provisional data of 2011 census, Modinagar urban agglomeration had a population of 1,82,811 out of which males were 97,335 and females were 85,476. The literacy rate was 87.03%.
- "Census of India Search details". censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Herdeck, Margaret; Gita Piramal (1985). India's industrialists, Volume 1 India's Industrialists. Lynne Rienner. ISBN 0-89410-415-2.
- Saxena, Aruna (1989). Perspectives in industrial geography: a case study of an industrial city of Uttar Pradesh. Concept Publishing Company. ISBN 81-7022-250-8.