Modesty in medical settings
Modesty in medical settings refers to the practices and equipment used to preserve patient modesty in medical examination and clinics.
Tools for modestyEdit
Prior to the invention of the stethoscope, a physician who wanted to perform auscultation to listen to heart sounds or noise inside a body would have to physically place their ear against the body of the person being examined. In 1816, male physician René Laennec invented the stethoscope as a way to respect the modesty of a female patient, as it would have been awkward for him to put his ear on her chest.
Hospital gowns increase modesty as compared to the patient presenting nude, but in the past have been odd clothing which exposes the body. Some contemporary changes to the design of hospital gowns are proposed.
Society and cultureEdit
Sometimes women do not access healthcare because of modesty concerns.
- Ariel Roguin (September 2006). "Rene Theophile Hyacinthe Laennec (1781-1826): the man behind the stethoscope". Clinical Medicine & Research. 4 (3): 230–235. doi:10.3121/cmr.4.3.230. PMC 1570491. PMID 17048358.
- Luthra, Shefali (4 April 2015). "Hospital Gowns Get a Makeover — The Atlantic". theatlantic.com. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- Seibert, PS; Stridh-Igo, P; Zimmerman, CG (June 2002). "A checklist to facilitate cultural awareness and sensitivity". Journal of Medical Ethics. 28 (3): 143–6. doi:10.1136/jme.28.3.143. PMC 1733575. PMID 12042396.
- Schoueri-Mychasiw, N; Campbell, S; Mai, V (February 2013). "Increasing screening mammography among immigrant and minority women in Canada: a review of past interventions". Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 15 (1): 149–58. doi:10.1007/s10903-012-9612-8. PMID 22466249.
- Rassool, GH (April 2015). "Cultural competence in nursing Muslim patients". Nursing Times. 111 (14): 12–5. PMID 26182584.
- Boucher, NA; Siddiqui, EA; Koenig, HG (2017). "Supporting Muslim Patients During Advanced Illness". The Permanente Journal. 21: 16–190. doi:10.7812/TPP/16-190. PMC 5469433. PMID 28609264.
- patientmodesty.org/, a United States-based nonprofit organization advocating for modesty