The modern pentathlon at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London was held from 11 to 12 August 2012. The men's and women's events each involved 36 athletes. The venues for the events were the Copper Box (fencing), the Aquatics Centre (swimming), and Greenwich Park (horse riding and combined running and shooting).
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Dates||11–12 August 2012|
Following the July 2011 modern pentathlon Olympic test event, UIPM president Klaus Schormann told Olympic news source Around the Rings that transportation was the key issue for the UIPM during the 2012 Olympics. "The transportation is important to get from the swimming and fencing to here in Greenwich Park," he said. "This should be properly organized, for the athletes but also for the spectators as well."
Modern pentathlon contained five events; pistol shooting, épée fencing, 200 m freestyle swimming, show jumping, and a 3 km cross-country run. It was the first Olympic Games in which the running and shooting events were combined; athletes faced three rounds of shooting each followed by a 1 km run. In each of the three rounds of firing, athletes had to shoot five targets, loading the gun after each shot; they were then allowed to resume their running. Misses were not penalised, but exceeding a maximum total time of 70 seconds would result in a penalty.
Pistols were replaced with laser guns after a successful trial at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics in Singapore. The use of laser guns reduced the cost of the shooting section by approximately two-thirds and opened up new venues for the sport because of the increased levels of safety.
Thirty-six athletes qualified for each of the two events; a maximum of two athletes per gender may qualify from any nation. Qualification methods were the same for both the men's and women's events.
The first allocation of places to athletes based on competition results occurred between January and August 2011. Five continental championships accounted for 19 places; one from Africa, four from Pan-America, five from Asia, eight from Europe and one from Oceania. The winner of the 2011 World Cup final, which was held in London's Greenwich Park in July as the first official test event ahead of the Games, qualified. The top three placed athletes at the 2011 World Championships in September, which were due to be held in Cairo but were moved to Moscow due to the Egyptian revolution, also qualified.
In May 2012, the top three ranked athletes, who had not yet qualified by other means, at the World Championships in Rome, May 2012 were to be allocated places. The final seven places were to be awarded based on pentathlon's world rankings as of 1 June 2012.
Medal summary edit
Medal table edit
|1||Czech Republic (CZE)||1||0||0||1|
|Great Britain (GBR)||0||1||0||1|
|Totals (6 entries)||2||2||2||6|
- "Olympic sports: Modern Pentathlon". London 2012 website. Archived from the original on 6 December 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "London 2012 Olympics: modern pentathlon guide". The Telegraph. 14 February 2011. Archived from the original on 29 July 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Around the Rings".
- Branch, John (26 November 2008). "Modern Pentathlon Gets a Little Less Penta". New York Times. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "LONDON 2012: Olympic modern pentathlon to feature laser guns". morethanthegames.com. 23 August 2010. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "London 2012 Olympics qualifying: Modern Pentathlon". BBC Sport. 6 January 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- Pound, Matthew (25 March 2011). "UIPM Awards 2011 Senior World Championships to Moscow". Union International de Pentathlon Moderne. Archived from the original on 23 July 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
Media related to Modern pentathlon at the 2012 Summer Olympics at Wikimedia Commons
- Modern pentathlon at the 2012 Summer Olympics. London2012.com. at the UK Government Web Archive (archived 28 February 2013)
- Official results book – Modern Pentathlon. London2012.com. at the Wayback Machine (archived 11 May 2013)
- London 2012 qualification system. Pentathlon.org[permanent dead link]
- Modern Pentathlon at the 2012 Summer Olympics at SR/Olympics (archived)