Moderator of the United Church of Canada
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Moderator of the United Church of Canada is the most senior elected official within the United Church of Canada. He or she may be a lay person or a member of the Order of Ministry and is elected to a three-year term by commissioners attending the church's triannual General Council. The current Moderator is the Right Reverend Dr. Richard Bott, who was elected to the office at the 43rd General Council in Oshawa, Ontario in July 2018.
The Moderator's authority exists by his or her ability to influence the direction of the denomination, rather than any sort of direct power to unilaterally enact changes. Duties of the Moderator include:
- giving Leadership ("especially in spiritual things, quickening in the hearts of the people a sense of God as revealed in Christ, and heartening and strengthening the whole United Church")
- visiting pastoral charges across the country, "giving sympathetic guidance and counsel giving sympathetic guidance and counsel, and reporting to the General Council and its executive".
- being the primary spokesperson and representative for the United Church
- presiding at the meetings of the United Church's highest court, the triannual General Council, and chairing meetings of the General Council's Executive and Sub-Executive.
History of the OfficeEdit
When the United Church of Canada was founded in 1925, General Councils were biannual, giving each moderator a two-year term of office. (The exception was the first moderator, George C. Pidgeon, who only served for one year.) At the 1994 General Council, the commissioners voted to make General Councils triannual, thus increasing the moderator's term to three years.
Although most moderators have been ordained ministers, this is not a requirement of office, and to date, four moderators have been lay persons. If the moderator is ordained, he or she is styled the "Right Reverend" while in office, and the "Very Reverend" afterwards.
Current and Past ModeratorsEdit
|2018 to Present||Richard Bott||43rd||Oshawa, ON|
|2015-2018||Jordan Cantwell||42nd||Corner Brook, NL|
|2012-2015||Gary Paterson||41st||Ottawa, ON|
|2009-2012||Mardi Tindal||40th||Kelowna, BC|
|2006-2009||David Giuliano||39th||Thunder Bay, ON|
|2003-2006||Peter Short||38th||Wolfville, NS|
|2000-2003||Marion Pardy||37th||Toronto, ON|
|1997-2000||Bill Phipps||36th||Camrose, AB|
|1994-1997||Marion Best||35th||Fergus, ON|
|1992-1994||Stan McKay||34th||Fredericton, NB|
|1990-1992||Walter H. Farquharson||33rd||London, ON|
|1988-1990||Sang Chul Lee||32nd||Victoria, BC|
|1986-1988||Anne M. Squire||31st||Sudbury, ON|
|1984-1986||Robert F. Smith||30th||Morden, MB|
|1982-1984||W. Clarke MacDonald||29th||Montreal, QC|
|1980-1982||Lois M. Wilson||28th||Halifax, NS|
|1977-1980||George M. Tuttle||27th||Calgary, AB|
|1974-1977||Wilbur K. Howard||26th||Guelph, ON|
|1972-1974||Bruce McLeod||25th||Saskatoon, SK|
|1971-1972||Arthur B. B. Moore||24th||Niagara Falls, ON|
|1968-1971||Robert Baird McClure||23rd||Kingston, ON|
|1966-1968||Wilfred C. Lockhart||22nd||Waterloo, ON|
|1964-1966||Ernest M. Howse||21st||St. John's, NL|
|1962-1964||James R. Mutchmor||20th||London, ON|
|1960-1962||Hugh A. McLeod||19th||Edmonton, AB|
|1958-1960||Angus J. MacQueen||18th||Ottawa, ON|
|1956-1958||James S. Thomson||17th||Windsor, ON|
|1954-1956||George Dorey||16th||Sackville, NB|
|1952-1954||Alexander A. Scott||15th||Hamilton, ON|
|1950-1952||Clarence M. Nicholson||14th||Toronto, ON|
|1948-1950||Willard E. Brewing||13th||Vancouver, BC|
|1946-1948||Thomas W. Jones||12th||Montreal, QC|
|1944-1946||Jesse H. Arnup||11th||London, ON|
|1942-1944||John R. P. Scalter||10th||Belleville, ON|
|1940-1942||Aubrey S. Tuttle||9th||Winnipeg, MB|
|1938-1940||John W. Woodside||8th||Toronto, ON|
|1936-1938||Peter Bryce||7th||Ottawa, ON|
|1934-1936||Richard Roberts||6th||Kingston, ON|
|1932-1934||T. Albert Moore||5th||Hamilton, ON|
|1930-1932||Edmund H. Oliver||4th||London, ON|
|1928-1930||William T. Gunn||3rd||Winnipeg, MB|
|1926-1928||James Endicott||2nd||Montreal, QC|
|1925-1926||George C. Pidgeon||1st||Toronto, ON|
- "GC43 News". Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- "The Manual" (PDF). United Church of Canada. 2013. Archived from the original (pdf) on May 11, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Overview: Historical Timeline". The United Church of Canada. March 3, 2010. Archived from the original on November 29, 2010. Retrieved March 10, 2010.
- "Record of Proceedings of the 42nd General Council, 2015" (PDF). The United Church of Canada. United Church of Canada. Retrieved January 21, 2017.