Gimi George, better known by her stage name Miya, is an Indian actress and model who predominantly works in Malayalam cinema, along with a few Tamil films. She started her career as an actress by playing supporting roles in television shows. She made her film debut by playing short roles in films such as Oru Small Family (2010), Doctor Love (2011) and Ee Adutha Kaalathu (2012). She was selected the Kerala Miss Fitness in 2012 and played her first lead role the same year in the Malayalam film Chettayees. She's best known for her roles in the films Memories (2013), Vishudhan (2013), Mr. Fraud (2014), Amara Kaaviyam (2014), Indru Netru Naalai (2015), Anarkali (2015), Paavada (2016), Hello Namasthe (2016), Oru Naal Koothu (2016), The Great Father (2017), Sherlock Toms (2017), Ira (2018), Ente Mezhuthiri Athazhangal (2018), Brother's Day (2019), and Driving Licence (2019).
Dombivli, Maharashtra, India
|Spouse(s)||Ashwin Philippose |
Early life and educationEdit
Miya was born in 1992 as the second daughter of George and Mini in a Malayali Christian family at Dombivili in Thana (now Thane), where her father worked as an engineer. Later, at the age of five, she moved to Pala in Kottayam. She did her schooling from Sacred Heart Girls High School, Bharananganam and St. Mary's Higher Secondary School, Bharananganam. She completed B.A. degree from Alphonsa College, Palai and her Masters in English Literature at St. Thomas College, Palai. She has one elder sister, Gini, who is married to Lijo George and is settled in Bangalore. Miya George recently got engaged to businessman Ashwin Philip in a low-key ceremony in Kerala.
She started her career by playing supporting roles in the television serials Alphonsamma and Kunjali Marakkar. She wain the films Doctor Love and Ee Adutha Kaalathu. She rose to fame when she was chosen the Kerala Miss Fitness 2012 in a beauty pageant. She made her debut as a heroine through the film Ettekaal Second but the project got a commercial release in the year 2014. Actress Urmila Unni who played Miya's mother in this film suggested her to director Shajoon Kariyal who cast her to play the lead role in his 2012 comedy film Chettayees. She played the wife of the character played by Biju Menon which won her critical acclaim. Miya was then seen in the Mohanlal-starrer Red Wine in which she played the lead opposite Asif Ali. She played the role of an investigative journalist in Jeethu Joseph's Memories which turned out to be a major hit of the year 2013. Same year she appeared as a Christian nun thrown out of the church on the charge of having an illicit affair with a priest, in Vishudhan. In 2014, she appeared in veteran director Joshiy's Salaam Kashmier in which she played the lead role alongside Jayaram and Suresh Gopi and B. Unnikrishnan's Mr. Fraud in which she paired with Mohanlal. She also appeared in Lal Jr.'s psychological thriller Hi I'm Tony in which she paired opposite Asif Ali for the second time, George Varghese's 6B Paradise, and K. N. Sasidharan's Nayana which had her playing the mother of a young girl. She made her debut in Tamil with Jeeva Shankar's Amara Kaaviyam in which she played a character called Karthika. In 2015 she had done 32aam Adhyayam 23aam Vaakyam.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Oru Small Family||Manikutty||Malayalam||Credited as Gimi George|
|2011||Doctor Love||Ebin's friend||Malayalam|
|2012||Ee Adutha Kaalathu||Shyleja||Malayalam|
|Thiruvambadi Thampan||Film actress||Malayalam|
|Chettayees||Merlin||Malayalam||First lead role|
|Hi I'm Tony||Tina||Malayalam|
|2015||32aam Adhyayam 23aam Vaakyam||Ann/Lucia||Malayalam|
|Indru Netru Naalai||Anu||Tamil|
|Anarkali||Dr. Sherin George||Malayalam|
|Valleem Thetti Pulleem Thetti||Sreekala||Malayalam|
|Oru Naal Koothu||Lakshmi||Tamil|
|2017||The Great Father||Dr. Susan||Malayalam|
|Sherlock Toms||Shiney Mattummel||Malayalam|
|Ente Mezhuthiri Athazhangal||Anjali||Malayalam|
|Driving License||Elsa Kuruvila||Malayalam|
|Kanmanilla||Meera Mohandas IPS||Malayalam||Post Production|
|Untitled Kalidas Jayaram movie||TBA||Malayalam||Pre Production|
- Sreekrishnan (Surya TV)
- Alphonsamma ( Asianet )
- Kunjali Marakkar ( Asianet )
- Velankanni Mathavu ( Surya TV )
- Malayali Veettamma (Flowers (TV channel)
- https://www.ndtv.com/entertainment/actress-miya-george-gets-engaged-to-ashwin-philip-2240116?amp=1&akamai-rum=off. Missing or empty
- "With Love Miya". Mangalam Publications. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "Manorama Online – Home". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "Mangalam – Varika 21-Oct-2013". Mangalam Weekly. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- Pillai, Radhika C (28 August 2014). "I was on cloud nine when Nayanthara complimented me: Mia George". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Malayalam actress Miya George to tie the knot with businessman Ashwin in September". India Today. Retrieved 2 June 2020.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "ജിമിയല്ല ഇനി മിയ". Vanitha (in Malayalam): 112, 113. 15–31 December 2012.
- Karthikeyan, Shruti (17 December 2012). "Mia opposite Manoj in 6B...". Deccan Chronicle. Kozhikode. p. 25 (Kozhikode Chronicle).
- "Underwater song in Ettekaal Second". Sify.com. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- Deepa Gauri (26 December 2013). The best of Malayalam cinema in 2013. Khaleej Times. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "'Chettayees' fame Mia to be the heroine in '6 B Paradise'". Nowrunning.com. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- Zachariah, Ammu (19 August 2012). "Gimi is excited to work with Anupam Kher". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Mia heads to Kollywood". The Times of India.
- "A thriller Outing". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miya George.|