|Period||1986 to present|
|Notable works||The Collector's Wife|
The Collector's WifeEdit
She is the author of The Collector's Wife (2005), a novel set against the Assam Agitation of the 1970s and 80s. The Collector's Wife was the one of the first generation novels in English written by an Assamese writer to be published by an international house. She is one of the most prominent literary voices in English from North-East India.
She has written several books for children, and won the UNICEF-CBT award for children's writing for her book Mamoni's Adventure(1986). She regularly contributes to The Assam Tribune, and is a prominent member of the North East Writers' Forum.
Mitra Phukan is also a trained classical vocalist and writes regularly on music.
- Mamoni's Adventures (1986, Children's Book Trust)
- Chumki Posts a Letter (1989 Children's Book Trust)
- The Biratpur Adventure (1994, Children's Book Trust)
- R G Baruah The Architect of Modern Assam ( 2004, Sahitya Prakash)
- The Collector's Wife (2005, Zubaan/Penguin)
- Terrorist Camp Adventure (2003, Scholastic)
- A Monsoon of Music (2011,Zubaan/Penguin)
- Guwahati Gaze (Bhabani Publishers, 2013)
- Blossoms in the Graveyard (2016, Niyogi Publishers)
- A Full Night's Thievery ( 2016, Speaking Tiger)