|Period||1986 to present|
|Genre||Fiction, translation, essays.|
|Notable works||The Collector's Wife"A Monsoon of Music" "A Full Night's Thievery".|
Her published literary works include four children's books, a biography, two novels, "The Collector's Wife" and "A Monsoon of Music" (Penguin-Zubaan) several volumes of translations of other novels and a collection of fifty of her columns, "Guwahati Gaze" Her most recent works are a collection of her own short stories "A Full Night's Thievery" (Speaking Tiger 2016) and a collection of short stories in translation, "Aghoni Bai and Other Stories" (2019) She writes extensively on Indian music as a reviewer and essayist. Her works have been translated into many languages, and several of them are taught in colleges and Universities. As a translator herself, she has translated into English the works of some of the best known Assamese writers of fiction, including "Blossoms in the Graveyard", a translation of Jyanpeeth Awardee Birendra Kumar Bhattacharjee's "Kobor Aru Phool" Her column "All Things Considered" in the Assam Tribune is widely read. She has been extensively anthologized, also.
She is the author of The Collector's Wife (2005), a novel set against the Assam Agitation of the 1970s and 80s. The Collector's Wife was the one of the first generation novels in English written by an Assamese writer to be published by an international house.
Phukan is also a trained classical vocalist and writes regularly on music.
Among the awards she has received so far have been the UNICEF-CBT Award for children's fiction, the Katha Award for Translation, the Telegraph-Vineet Gupta Memorial Award for short fiction, etc.
- Mamoni's Adventures (1986, Children's Book Trust)
- Chumki Posts a Letter (1989 Children's Book Trust)
- The Biratpur Adventure (1994, Children's Book Trust)
- R G Baruah The Architect of Modern Assam ( 2004, Sahitya Prakash)
- The Collector's Wife (2005, Zubaan/Penguin)
- Terrorist Camp Adventure (2003, Scholastic)
- A Monsoon of Music (2011,Zubaan/Penguin)
- Guwahati Gaze (2013, Bhabani Publishers)
- Blossoms in the Graveyard (2016, Niyogi Publishers)
- A Full Night's Thievery ( 2016, Speaking Tiger)
- Aghoni Bai And Other Stories ( 2019, EBH Publishers)
- Patmugi and Other Stories (2021, Assam Sahitya Sabha, with Gayatri Bhattacharjee)
- Fiction : "The Reckoning"
- Fiction : "The Homecoming"
- Fiction : "Spring song"
- Italian translation of Mitra Phukan's Short Story "Spring Song"