Village (and former municipality)
The former municipal area (2007)
|• Total||6.25 km2 (2.41 sq mi)|
|Elevation||504 m (1,654 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
Mitlödi is first mentioned in 1320 as Mitlodi.
Mitlödi is located in the valley of the Linth river, on a pre-historic rock slide, at an elevation of 504 m (1,654 ft). It consists of the village of Mitlödi itself, and the separate section of Ennetlinth on the right bank of the Linth. The village of Schwanden lies upstream and to the south, whilst the town of Glarus is downstream and to the north.
Mitlödi has an area, as defined by the former municipal boundaries in 2006, of 6.2 km2 (2.4 sq mi). Of this area, 32.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 56.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 7.4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (4.5%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Mitlödi is located on the Hauptstrasse 17, which runs the length of the canton of Glarus before climbing the Klausen Pass into the canton of Uri, as well as on the Weesen to Linthal railway line that parallels the main road and the Linth river through Glarus. The high alpine Klausen Pass is normally only open to traffic between June and September, and for the rest of the year the road and railway up the Linth valley form the only access to Mitlödi.
Mitlödi railway station is served by the Zürich S-Bahn service S25 between Linthal and Zurich, and by the St. Gallen S-Bahn service S6 between Rapperswil and Schwanden. Both services operate once per hour, combining to provide two trains per hour between Ziegelbrücke and Schwanden.
Mitlödi has a population (as of 31 December 2018) of 1,000. As of 2007[update], 22.5% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -4.9%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (84.0%), with Italian being second most common ( 5.4%) and Spanish being third ( 4.9%).
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Mitlödi about 63.7% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule).
Mitlödi has an unemployment rate of 1.65%. As of 2005[update], there were 31 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 15 businesses involved in this sector. 398 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 21 businesses in this sector. 144 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 41 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
|1777||183 (adult males)|
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Mitlödi". Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (in French). 2008-11-19. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Gemeinde Glarus Süd" [Glarus Süd Municipality] (in German). Gemeinde Glarus Süd. Archived from the original on 22 May 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2011-09-04 at the Wayback Machine accessed 14-Sep-2009
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats" (PDF). ZVV. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "S-Bahn St.Gallen Map" (PDF). S-Bahn. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- "Ziegelbrücke–Linthal" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 23 September 2019
- Canton Glarus population growth Archived 2011-06-06 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 9 September 2009