Mitko Todorov Grablev (Bulgarian: Митко Тодоров Гръблев) is a Bulgarian weightlifter who competed for Bulgaria. He originally claimed the Gold medal in Weightlifting at the 1988 Summer Olympics – Men's 56 kg but was disqualified after he tested positive for furosemide. It became a scandal after another Bulgarian weightlifter Angel Guenchev, who also originally claimed a gold medal in weightlifting, was disqualified for failing drug testing and a positive result for the doping agent furosemide. The Bulgarian weightlifting team was forced to withdraw midway from the weightlifting competition. This was also not the first time the Bulgarian weightlifting team was caught cheating. Numerous Bulgarians were stripped from their medals in the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. It is theorized that since the Games were held in then communist USSR in 1980, and not a single Summer Olympic athlete of any sport tested positive for doping, still the only Games in the entire Modern Olympic history this occurred, that the testing at those Olympics were flawed. Coincidentally, 5 medalists of those 1980 games in weightlifting (3 Bulgarian 2 Russian) were previously disqualified and stripped of their medals in the 1976 Olympic Games.
|Born||September 21, 1964 (age 56)|
Pazardzhik or Panagyurishte [contradiction], Bulgaria
- "Mitko Grablev". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 23 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "HE Seoul Olympics: Weight Lifting; Team Lifted After 2d Drug Test Is Failed". The New York Times. 24 September 1998. Retrieved 23 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bulgaria's weightlifters expelled from games". The Guardian. 23 September 2000. Retrieved 23 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Seoul Games / Day 8: Bulgaria's Weightlifting Team Withdraws After Drug Suspensions". Los Angeles Times. 24 September 1988. Retrieved 23 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "2nd Weightlifter Banned, Bulgaria Pulls Team". Washington Post. 24 September 1988. Retrieved 23 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Doping cases at Summer Games since 1968". www.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 2019-06-30.