Mithila (proposed Indian state)
Mithila is a proposed state in India, comprising the Maithili speaking region of Bihar and Jharkhand. Maithili language has own traditional script, known as Mithilakshar. It is part of the historical Mithila region. The proposed state will also include some Angika and Bajjika speaking districts which are considered by some to be dialects of Maithili. What will be the capital city of Mithila, India is still to be decided. Darbhanga, the largest cultural hub of this region may be designated as Capital. Muzaffarpur and Purnia are also strong contenders of being Capital city.
|Proposed capitals||Darbhanga, Muzaffarpur|
There was also a movement in the Maithili speaking areas of Nepal for a separate state which ended in 2015 after Constitution of Nepal 2015 ensured it in form of province two.
Various organisations have been formed that demand the formation of a state including the Maithil Mahasabha and the Mithilanchal Vikash Congress the former received support from Raj Darbhanga. Various demonstrations have taken place demanding a Mithila state with a major protest taking place in Delhi in 2009 organised by the Akhil Bharatiya Mithila Rajya Sangharsh Samiti.Mithila Student Union is the organisation of young and dynamic students of Mithila (region), however it has not cleared its stand on separate state till date.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Araria district
- Begusarai district
- Bhagalpur district
- Darbhanga district
- Deoghar district
- Dumka district
- East Champaran
- Godda district
- Jamtara district
- Jamui district
- Katihar district
- Khagaria district
- Kishanganj district
- Lakhisarai district
- Madhepura district
- Madhubani district
- Munger district
- Muzaffarpur district
- Pakur district
- Purnia district
- Saharsa district
- Sahebganj district
- Samastipur district
- Sheohar district
- Sitamarhi district
- Supaul district
- Vaishali district
- West Champaran
Bharatiya Janata PartyEdit
- BJP MP Kirti Azad from Darbhanga has organised multiple dharnas and protests in support of Mithila. He has also launched a signature campaign in Mithila aiming to raise awareness.
- Senior BJP leader, Tarakant Jha, former chairman of Bihar Legislative Council, has organised public rallies supporting Mithila.
Janata Dal (United)Edit
- "Small States Syndrome in India". p. 146. Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- L. P. Vidyarthi. "Development of Researches in Anthropology in India: A Case Study of Bihar". Archived from the original on 20 February 2017. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Nationalism and Ethnicity in a Hindu Kingdom: The Politics and Culture of contemporary Nepal". p. 251. Archived from the original on 22 March 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Small States Syndrome in India". pp. 148–152. Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 February 2017. Retrieved 19 February 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Demand for Mithila state gains momentum, politicians join demonstration at Jantar Mantar". Post.jagran.com. 2 August 2011. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 February 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2017.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 March 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "article". Post.jagran.com. Archived from the original on 15 January 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "राज्य पुनर्गठन : व्यापक हो नजरिया « संपादकीय ब्लॉग". Jagraneditorial.jagranjunction.com. Archived from the original on 25 December 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "जेडी(यू) ने पृथक मिथिला राज्य की मांग का समर्थन किया- Navbharat Times". Navbharat Times. 22 January 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2012.