Mitcham Junction station
|Local authority||London Borough of Merton|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Tramlink annual boardings and alightings|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 October 1868||Opened|
|3 March 1929||Electrified to Epsom|
|31 May 1997||West Croydon to Wimbledon Line Closed|
|London transport portal|
The station opened on 1 October 1868. Despite its name, Mitcham Junction no longer has a junction: one of the two lines that crossed here (the West Croydon to Wimbledon Line) has become a grade-separated Tramlink route. The other line is used by services between Sutton and London Victoria, or London Blackfriars and beyond. This line still has sharp curves at either end of the station where the junctions were located and speed is limited to 30 miles per hour (48 km/h).
Mitcham Junction is not in the centre of Mitcham but is near the historic Cricket Green Conservation Area, across Mitcham Common. The nearest main line railway station to the commercial centre of Mitcham is Mitcham Eastfields located between Mitcham Junction and Streatham which opened in June 2008.
Southern operates northbound services to London Victoria and southbound services to Epsom. Thameslink run a figure of six service, running northbound to Luton and southbound to Sutton. In peak hours, trains run northbound to London Bridge and southbound to Dorking and Horsham.
- "London and South East" (PDF). National Rail. September 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 March 2009.
- "Tram Stop Usage 2009-10 (FOI)" (XLS). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2009-2010. Transport for London. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Tramlink numbers 2010-2011" (PDF). Tramlink annual passenger performance 2010-2011. Transport for London. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Butt, RVJ (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens. p. 161. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Sutton & Mole Valley Lines
|Preceding tram stop||Tramlink||Following tram stop|
Wimbledon to Beckenham Junction
towards Beckenham Junction
Wimbledon to Elmers End
towards Elmers End
|Mitcham||Connex South Central
West Croydon to Wimbledon Line
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mitcham Junction station.|