Mission: America(Redirected from Mission America (Columbus, Ohio))
Mission: America is an American Christian right organization based in Columbus, Ohio and founded in 1995 that seeks to "cover the latest cultural and social trends in our country and what they might mean for Christians." The organization publishes articles on its web site about its views on homosexuality and paganism. Mission: America's founder and president, Linda Harvey, is an outspoken critic of LGBT rights, including same-sex marriage.
|Founded||September 27, 1995|
|Founder||Linda P. Harvey|
|Linda Harvey, President|
According to founder Linda Harvey, Mission:America was founded with the objective of equipping "Christians with current, accurate information about cultural issues such as feminism, homosexuality, education and New Age influences."
Harvey is a radio talk show host on WRFD in Columbus, and also writes commentary for WorldNetDaily. In January 2008, she authored Not My Child; Contemporary Paganism & New Spirituality. The book discusses the author's view that "casual occultism permeates youth culture" and suggests tips for parents as well as classroom lessons.
The group's "School Risk Audit" program was conducted jointly by Mission America, the American Family Association, Concerned Women for America, the Family Research Council, and other groups. It was launched in April 2006. Its stated purpose is to assess what it sees as schools' promotion of homosexuality such as anti-bullying programs that include acceptance of different sexual orientations, and non-discrimination policies that include sexual orientation. The plan has received support from Exodus Mandate, an evangelical Christian group supporting home-schooling.
In March 2012, the Southern Poverty Law Center designated Mission America as an active anti-gay hate group. The group has denied this characterization. Mission America had previously launched a campaign to get the website "Prop 8 Maps" listed by the SPLC as a hate group.
This section relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
According to Mission America, the organization promotes "Biblical morality", though e-mail, videos and its website, seeking to reach American Christians. A major issue for the organization is what they refer to as the "burgeoning and increasingly fascist 'gay rights' movement".
After JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series, revealed that she always thought of the character Albus Dumbledore as being homosexual, Harvey asked, "Will we allow our kids to believe it would be perfectly appropriate for the headmaster of any school to be homosexual?"
In speaking against the Equality Act in December 2015, Harvey said that endorsing LGBT equality measures is “the least compassionate, the meanest and most hateful thing you can do” because it will cause more people to think it’s okay to be LGBT.
In 2011, Harvey said that gay rights advocates were "masters of demonic manipulation" while speaking as a guest on Peter LaBarbera's radio program. She has also referred to the It Gets Better video project as "wrong, it's evil, it's dark". In that same broadcast, she referred to LaBarbera as her "good friend". LaBarbera heads the organization Americans for Truth about Homosexuality. Harvey opposes efforts to decriminalize homosexuality in Jamaica, promoting a petition that declares Caribbean societies are “under attack” from gay rights supporters. She describes LGBT anti-discrimination orders as "anti-Christian gag orders" whose goal is to "criminalize speech and Christian faith."
In August 2011, Harvey stated on her weekend radio show that "There is no proof that there’s ever anything like a gay, lesbian or bisexual or transgendered child, or teen or human," and that openly gay people should not be allowed to teach in public schools.
- "Trade Name Registration". State of Ohio. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "Nonprofit Report for Mission America". GuideStar. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "2011 IRS Form 990 federal tax return". Foundation Center. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "What Is MISSION:AMERICA?". Mission: America. Archived from the original on October 15, 2012. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Mission: America. "Articles". Archived from the original on July 24, 2012. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- Southern Poverty Law Center. "Active Anti-Gay Groups". Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Linda Harvey". Mission: America. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Mission America announcement of the School Risk Audit program (link no longer active as of October, 2011)
- D'Agostino, Joseph A. (November 15, 2004). "Mission America". Human Events.
- Gay author no longer welcome to address N.B. students: Pressure from parents, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 2008-10-10
- "Rowling dubs Dumbledore of 'Harry Potter' books as gay". Daily News. New York. October 19, 2007. Archived from the original on October 21, 2007. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "J.K. Rowling outs Hogwarts character". Associated Press. October 20, 2007. Archived from the original on October 21, 2007. Retrieved October 22, 2007.
- "JK Rowling says wizard Dumbledore is gay". Reuters. 20 October 2007. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Linda Harvey (October 24, 2007). "Christian parents: Stop trusting Harry Potter". WorldNetDaily. Archived from the original on 26 October 2007. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- Right Wing Watch, April, 2011
- Right Wing Watch June, 2011
- Peter Montgomery (29 June 2015). "Linda Harvey Backs Laws Criminalizing Gays, Complains Gays Want To Criminalize Christianity". Right Wing Watch. People for the American Way.
- Right Wing Watch, August 26, 2011
- Right Wing Watch, August 8, 2011