Missile Command 3D
Missile Command 3D is a shoot 'em up video game developed by Virtuality Entertainment and published by Atari Corporation exclusively for the Atari Jaguar in North America on December 12, 1995 and in Europe on December 15 of the same year. It is an update to the 1980 arcade game Missile Command and is the only title to support the unreleased Jaguar VR peripheral.
|Missile Command 3D|
Cover art in all regions
|Genre(s)||First-person shooter, shoot 'em up|
Missile Command 3D retains the same gameplay elements from its 1980 counterpart such as defending six cities from being attacked and destroyed by an endless hail of ballistic missiles, with new weapons being introduced in later levels by commanding 3 anti-missile batteries. However the game is divided into three different modes to choose from at the start of the game, each with their own gameplay elements:
- Original: Original Missile Command is a recreation of the arcade game, although with a few imperfections.
- 3D: 3D Missile Command modifies the original gameplay by adding city repairment and upgrade, new power-ups and enemy weapons. It also takes place in a three-dimensional landscape, instead of a 2D plane but the gameplay view is the same as in the original.
- Virtual: Virtual Missile Command puts the player into a first-person view inside the anti-missile battery. This mode features three forms of counterattacking: Laser (which can be upgraded three times to increase the anti-missile battery's firepower), Missiles and Smart Bombs. It also introduces boss battles at the end of each wave.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
- "Arcade favorite receives new mission; Atari Corp. launches "Missile Command 3D" for Jaguar 64". TheFreeLibrary.com. Business Wire. December 12, 1995. Retrieved 2018-05-19.
- Thompson, Clint. "Jaguar VR - INTERACTIVE VIRTUAL REALITY MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM". JagCube. Atari.org. Retrieved 2018-05-25.
- Missile Command 3D game manual, pg. 5 (Atari Jaguar, US)
- Missile Command 3D game manual, pg. 10 (Atari Jaguar, US)
- Missile Command 3D game manual, pg. 16 (Atari Jaguar, US)
- Scoleri III, Joseph. "Missile Command 3D - Overview". AllGame. Archived from the original on 14 November 2014. Retrieved 2018-05-19.
- Davies, Paul (May 1996). "CVG Mini Review - Missile Command 3D". Computer and Video Games. No. 174. Future Publishing. p. 90.
- Charla, Chris (March 1996). "Jaguar - Review - Missile Command 3D". Game Players. No. 82. Signal Research. p. 55.
- Nihei, Wes (March 1996). "ProReview: Missile Command 3D". GamePro. No. 80. IDG. p. 68.
- Versionen, Andere (May 1996). "Spiele-Tests - Missile Command 3D". MAN!AC. No. 31. Cybermedia Verlagsgesellschaft mbH. p. 68.
- "Finals - Descending - Missile Command 3D". Next Generation. No. 16. Imagine Media. April 1996. p. 91.
- Laskey, Iain (July 1996). "Screenplay - Jaguar Game - Missile Command 3D". ST Format. No. 84. Future plc. p. 27.
- "Missile Command 3D - When the rot sets in...". Ultimate Future Games. No. 18. Future Publishing. May 1996. p. 60.
- O'Connor, Frank (January 1996). "Reviews - Missile Command 3D". VideoGames - The Ultimate Gaming Magazine. No. 84. L.F.P., Inc. p. 89.