Miss Grand Tanzania was a Tanzanian female national beauty pageant, founded in 2017 by a Dar es Salaam-based legal counsel, Rasheedah Jamaldin. The winner of the contest represented the country in its international parent contest, Miss Grand International. Jamaldin terminated her partnership with Miss Grand International Limited in late 2018 after her both affiliated representatives were unplaced two years in a row. Previously, from 2014 to 2015, the competition license belonged to a businessperson, Veronika Rovegno, but all country representatives during that period were appointed.
|Established||11 August 2017|
(As Miss Grand Tanzania pageant)
|Headquarters||Dar es Salaam|
|Miss Grand International|
Since the debutant in 2014, to date, none of Tanzania's representatives have qualified for the top 20 round on the international stage. However, the 2018 candidate, Queen Mugesi Ainory Gesase, was placed among the top 10 best in a national costume competition, one of the main sub-contests in the Miss Grand International pageant.
Tanzania made its debutant at Miss Grand International in 2014 by Lorraine Marriot, under the direction of a businessperson based in Dar es Salaam, Veronika Rovegno. Later in 2015, Jinah Dameckh, the second runner-up Miss Tanzania 2014, was appointed to represent the country at the 2015 international edition but she withdrew for undisclosed reasons.
After two consecutive years of absence, Tanzania returned to the competition when a Dar es Salaam-based legal counsel, Rasheedah Jamaldin, purchased the franchise for 2017–2018. Under her directorship, the first and only edition of the Miss Grand Tanzania pageant was held to determine the country representative for Miss Grand International 2017 at the Dar es Salaam Convention Center on 11 August 2017, featuring twenty-eight national finalists, of whom Batuli Mohamed was crowned Miss Grand Tanzania 2017. The final competition was attended by Miss Grand International 2016, Ariska Putri Pertiwi, and the vice president of the international organization, Teresa Chaivisut.
Initially, the licensee intended to run the pageant from the community to the national level, but in 2018, a Tanzanian representative for Miss Grand International, Queen Mugesi Ainory Gesase, was instead appointed, and the contract between the international and the Tanzanian organizer was no longer extended. Since then, to date, no Tanzanian candidates have additionally participated in the Miss Grand International pageant.
The following list is the edition detail of the Miss Grand Tanzania contest, which was held individually once in 2017.
|2017||1st||11 August||Dar es Salaam Convention Center, Dar es Salaam||28||Batuli Mohamed|||
Representatives at Miss Grand International edit
- Color keys
- Declared as winner.
- Ended as a runner-up (Top 5).
- Ended as a semi-finalist (Top 10).
- Ended as a quarterfinalist (Top 20).
|Year||Representative||Original national title||International result||Ref.|
|2014||Lorraine Marriot[α]||Appointed||Unplaced||Top 20 Best National Costume|||
|2015||Jinah Dameckh||2nd runner-up Miss Tanzania 2014||Unable to compete|||
|2017||Batuli Mohamed||Miss Grand Tanzania 2017||Unplaced||—|||
|2018||Queen Mugesi Ainory Gesase||Appointed||Unplaced||Top 10 Best National Costume|||
See also edit
- "Miss Grand Tanzania 2017 Yazinduliwa Dar Es Salaam Leo". Rssing.com (in Swahili). 28 April 2017. Archived from the original on 19 January 2022. Retrieved 20 January 2022.
- "Batuli Mohammed is Miss Grand Tanzania 2017". Modelsgistafrica.com. 15 August 2017. Archived from the original on 21 January 2021. Retrieved 20 January 2022.
- "Batuli Mohammed crowned Miss grand Tanzania 2017". The Times of India. 15 August 2017. Archived from the original on 19 January 2022. Retrieved 20 January 2022.
- "Tanzania kushiriki Miss Grand International 2014". www.mwananchi.co.tz (in Swahili). Mwananchi Communications. 14 February 2014. Archived from the original on 3 December 2022. Retrieved 3 December 2022.
- "Miss Grand Tanzania 2014 Lorraine Marriot". Miss Grand International. 2015. Archived from the original on 7 October 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2022.
- Ambika Thakur (9 October 2015). "Who Will Be Crowned As Miss Grand International 2015?". Yabada.com. Archived from the original on 10 December 2015. Retrieved 20 January 2022.
- "Pata Kumjua Queen Mugesi Miss Grand Tanzania 2018". Afroswagga.com (in Swahili). 2018. Archived from the original on 3 December 2022. Retrieved 3 December 2022.
- "Miss Grand Tanzania Yarudi Tena". Globalpublishers.co.tz (in Swahili). 21 July 2017. Archived from the original on 3 December 2022. Retrieved 3 December 2022.
- Yasini Ngitu (1 September 2018). "Video: Mrembo Queen Mugesi atwaa taji la Miss Grand Tanzania 2018". Bongo 5 (in Swahili). Archived from the original on 3 September 2018. Retrieved 20 January 2022.
- "Miss Grand International 2014 ลีส์ กราเซีย สาวคิวบาคว้ามงกุฎไปครอง". Kapook.com (in Thai). 8 October 2014. Archived from the original on 26 August 2022. Retrieved 27 August 2022.
- "Ngắm Top 20 Miss Grand International 2017 nóng bỏng với phần thi bikini". Voice of Vietnam (in Vietnamese). 26 October 2017. Archived from the original on 8 November 2022. Retrieved 9 November 2022.
- "Lorraine Marriot Anaweza Kurudisha Ushindi Tanzania". Afroswagga.com (in Swahili). 2015. Archived from the original on 3 December 2022. Retrieved 3 December 2022.
- Media related to Miss Grand Tanzania at Wikimedia Commons