Minuscule 429 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), α 398 (in the Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on cotton paper. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th century (Apocalypse – 15th century).
|New Testament manuscript|
|Name||Guelferbytanus XVI. 7|
|Text||New Testament (except Gospels)|
|Now at||Herzog August Bibliothek|
|Size||22.5 cm by 16 cm|
The codex contains the text of the New Testament except Gospels on 204 paper leaves (22.5 cm by 16 cm). It is written in one column per page, in 29 lines per page. The leaves are arranged in quarto. It contains Prolegomena and many marginal readings.
It contains the Comma Johanneum added by a later hand.
The Greek text of the Acts of the Apostles and the Catholic epistles Aland placed in Category III. It exhibits a remarkable text. The text of the Pauline epistles and Apocalypse is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Aland placed it in Category V. In the Pauline epistles, the text is close to the codices 206, 522, 1891, and 2815.
Acts and epistles were written by George, a monk in the 14th century (Scrivener 13th century). The Apocalypse was added later in the 14th or 15th century.
The manuscript was examined by Franz Anton Knittel in 1773, Matthaei (designated by X), and Franz Delitsch. C. R. Gregory saw it in 1891. Formerly it was labelled by 69a, 74p, and 30r. In 1908 Gregory gave the number 429 to it.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 63.
- Aland, Kurt; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 72. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 270.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1861). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 290.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 133. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- UBS3, p. 464.
- UBS3, p. 733-734.
- Franz Anton Knittel, Beyträge zur Kritik über Johannes Offenbarung, Schröder, Braunschweig und Hildensheim 1773
- Minuscule 429 at the Encyclopedia of Textual Criticism