Ministry of Home Affairs (Singapore)
The Ministry of Home Affairs (Abbreviation: MHA; Malay: Kementerian Ehwal Dalam Negeri; Chinese: 内政部; Tamil: உள்துறை அமைச்சு) is a ministry of the Government of Singapore responsible for national security, public safety, civil defence, border control, and immigration. It is also known as the Home Team. It is headed by the Minister for Home Affairs.
Logo of the MHA
New Phoenix Park, where the Ministry of Home Affairs is located
|Jurisdiction||Government of Singapore|
|Headquarters||New Phoenix Park, 28 Irrawaddy Road, Singapore 329560|
|Employees||28,144 (2018) |
|Annual budget||6.74 billion (est) SGD (2019) |
The Ministry of Home Affairs was set up in 1959 when Singapore attained self-governance. Housed at the Empress Place Building, it remained there until 16 September 1963 when Singapore joined Malaysia and internal affairs became a federal responsibility.
After gaining independence on 9 August 1965, Home Affairs returned to its Empress Place address under the purview of the Ministry of Interior and Defence (MID). MID stayed there for several months before it was re-located to Pearl's Hill (former Lower Barracks of Police).
On 11 August 1970, the Ministry of Interior and Defence was separated into two ministries, the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Ministry of Defence. MHA remained at Pearl's Hill until August 1977 when it moved to Phoenix Park at Tanglin Road.
MHA, together with Police Headquarters, moved to its new premises at New Phoenix Park at 28 Irrawaddy Road on 18 August 2001.
Home Team DepartmentsEdit
The Ministry of Home Affairs consists of the following seven departments:
- Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB)
- Home Team Academy (HTA)
- Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA)
- Internal Security Department (ISD)
- Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF)
- Singapore Police Force (SPF)
- Singapore Prison Service (SPS)
- Community Partnership and Communications Group
- Finance and Administration Division
- Gambling Regulatory Unit
- Home Team Medical Services Division
- Human Resource Division
- Internal Audit Division
- International Cooperation and Partnerships Division
- Joint Operations Group
- Legal Division
- Office of the Chief Psychologist
- Office of the Chief Science and Technology Officer
- Ops-Tech Group
- Policy Development Division
- Procurement and Logistics Division
- Planning & Organisation Division
- Research and Statistics Division
- Systems Design and Review Division