Milo Murphy's Law
Milo Murphy's Law is an American animated television series created by Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh. The series premiered on October 3, 2016 on Disney XD. It revolves around the title character, Milo Murphy, who is a descendant of Edward A. Murphy Jr., the namesake of Murphy's Law, which states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. The series takes place in the same universe as Povenmire/Marsh's previous series Phineas and Ferb, with several references to the show occurring across season one, culminating in a crossover at the beginning of the second season and continuing throughout with several plot threads from the former series.
|Milo Murphy's Law|
|Opening theme||"It's My World (And We're All Living in It)"|
by "Weird Al" Yankovic
|Ending theme||"It's My World (And We're All Living in It)"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||40 (list of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Robert F. Hughes|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Disney Television Animation|
|Original network||Disney XD (2016-2018)|
Disney Channel (2019)
|Picture format||HDTV (720p)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||October 3, 2016 –|
May 18, 2019
When asked about a third season in October 2019, Povenmire stated they were still waiting on a third season renewal, but said that it might happen when the series is run on the Disney+ streaming service. When asked again about the current odds of a third season in May 2020, Povenmire stated they are still at a low, and the odds all hinge on the uptick in views on Disney+ which has yet to happen.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic as Milo Murphy, the title character of the series. He has a reputation for having extreme misfortune and causing part of it to others as a result of being descended from the creator of Murphy's Law; nevertheless, he is optimistic and constantly finds ways to overcome it. He carries a backpack with him that always seems to have what he needs for any given situation. It was given to him by his old babysitter, Veronica, who was the only one able to handle Murphy's Law.
- Sabrina Carpenter as Melissa Chase, the long-time best friend of Milo's who likes to hang out with him despite his bad luck. Her father is the local fire chief. She has had a secret fear of rollercoasters, since one nearly fell on her, and has fake front teeth after catching a pop fly.
- Mekai Curtis as Zack Underwood, the new kid to the Tri-State Area who becomes best friends with Milo and sticks by Milo even though he is a jinx. He is on the football team. He was once the lead singer of a boy band called "The Lumberzacks". He is often the straight man of the series.
The Murphys' houseEdit
- Diedrich Bader as Martin Murphy, Milo's father. Just like his son, he has extreme misfortune. He is a safety inspector, mostly due to the fact that when he's around, safety contingencies are pushed to the limit.
- Pamela Adlon as Brigette Murphy, Milo's mother who is an architect.
- Kate Micucci as Sara Murphy, Milo's older sister and fellow Dr. Zone fan who loves her brother despite his recurring bad luck.
- Dee Bradley Baker as Diogee Ex Machina Murphy, Milo's dog. He regularly follows Milo, who keeps telling him to go home as he is almost always not allowed to be wherever Milo is at the moment. His name is pronounced "D-O-G," as if spelling out the word "dog."
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Heinz "Doof" Doofenshmirtz / Professor Time, a formerly-evil-scientist-turned-O.W.C.A. member who Milo encounters while looking for Professor Time, Doof's future self, in the final episode of the first season. After his house gets destroyed through Murphy's Law, Doofenshmirtz is going to live with the Murphy family in a shed in their garden and becomes a supporting character during season two.
Jefferson County Middle SchoolEdit
- Chrissie Fit as Amanda Lopez, a student in Milo's class who is a perfectionist and Milo’s love interest.
- Vincent Martella as Bradley Nicholson, a pessimistic and arrogant student who is jealous of the attention Milo gets. Due to the space-time continuum being altered during "The Phineas and Ferb Effect", his right arm is still part plant.
- Greg Cipes as Mort Schaeffer, a burly-looking and spiritual student in Milo's class. He is Bradley's best friend, but is friends with Milo and his gang, and is the drummer in their band, Just Getting Started.
- Django Marsh as Chad Van Coff, a classmate of Milo's who is convinced that Mr. Drako is a vampire.
- Alyson Stoner as Lydia, a classmate of Milo's as well as Amanda's best friend.
- Michael Culross as Kyle Drako, a middle school teacher with a slight Romanian accent. A recurring gag involves him exhibiting traits resembling a vampire.
- Christian Slater as Elliot Decker, the school crossing guard and self-described "Safety Czar". He makes it his mission to protect the city from Milo, to which he constantly hinders Milo and the gang.
- Mackenzie Phillips as Elizabeth Milder, the principal of Jefferson County Middle School.
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Nolan Mitchell, the football coach of Jefferson County Middle School.
- Sarah Chalke as Mrs. Murawski, the science teacher of Jefferson County Middle School who holds an unhealthy affection for her desk.
- Laraine Newman as Ms. White, another middle school teacher.
Bureau of Time Travel agentsEdit
- Dan Povenmire and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Vinnie Dakota and Balthazar Cavendish. The pair are time travelers given the assignment to prevent the extinction of the pistachio. They are considered a joke by their fellow time agents because their job is considered inconsequential. Dakota dresses in Disco (1970s) clothing while Cavendish dresses in Victorian era (1870s) formal wear. They initially see Milo as an enemy agent until they learn about Murphy's Law and befriend him in "Missing Milo". Later in the same episode, it is revealed that they were the inspirations for Doctor Zone and the Time Ape. In the second season episode "Snow Way Out", they are revoked from time travel, though in "Picture Day", they are hired by Bob Block as janitors at the Paranormal Investigation Group (P.I.G.).
- Mark Hamill as Mr. Block, Cavendish and Dakota's superior in season 1 and the beginning of season 2.
- Hamill also voices Bob Block, Mr. Block's great-great-great-grandfather in the present day, who hires Cavendish and Dakota as janitors for P.I.G. in "Snow Way Out".
- Ming-Na Wen and Brett Dalton as Savannah and Brick, colleagues of Dakota and Cavendish. Unlike them, Savannah and Brick resemble traditional secret agents in the vein of James Bond, and drive a time vehicle that resembles a limousine, as opposed to Dakota and Cavendish's, which resembles a Beetle. Their character designs are based on their voice actors, who portrayed secret agents in the television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..
O.W.C.A. (Organization Without a Cool Acronym)Edit
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry the Platypus, aka "Agent P", a platypus agent and pet of the Flynn-Fletcher family. After appearing in the crossover, he becomes a supporting character in the second season.
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram, Perry's superior in O.W.C.A. who makes sporadic appearances in the second season.
- Tyler Alexander Mann as Carl, O.W.C.A.'s sole perpetual unpaid intern and Major Monogram's personal assistant who also makes sporadic appearances in the second season.
- Joanna Hausmann as Alien Commander, the captain of an extraterrestrial fleet interested in the capture of Milo.
- Odessa Adlon as the Alien Commander's daughter, Orgaluth.
- Brock Powell as Alien Pilot, the Alien Commander's second-in-command.
- John Ross Bowie and Cedric Yarbrough as Loab and Khone, the Alien Commander's "favorite" field agents.
- Al Yankovic, Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, and Brock Powell as Beek, Mantel and Dorsal, additional field agents under the Alien Commander.
- Vanessa Williams as Eileen Underwood, Zack's mother who works as a surgeon.
- Phil LaMarr as Marcus Underwood, Zack's father.
- Adrian Pasdar as Richard Chase, Melissa's father who works as a fireman.
- Jemaine Clement as Doctor Zone, the main character of the eponymous show within a show. He is based on the titular character from Doctor Who, as he travels through time. Orton Mahlson, the creator of The Doctor Zone Files is also the original actor who portrayed the character. Mahlson's name is a parody of writer Martin Olson.
- Sophie Winkleman as Time Ape, Dr. Zone's sidekick.
- Scott D. Peterson as Scott, an "Undergrounder" who lives beneath Danville.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas Flynn, an upbeat young boy who Milo and his friends team up with to stop the Pistachions.
- David Errigo, Jr. as Ferb Fletcher, a boy of few words who Milo and his friends team up with to stop the Pistachions.
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace Flynn, Phineas' sister who Milo and his friends team up with to stop the Pistachions.
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet Tjinder, an intellectual friend of Phineas and Ferb's who Milo and his friends team up with to stop the Pistachions.
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford van Stomm, a "bully" friend of Phineas and Ferb's who Milo and his friends team up with to stop the Pistachions.
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella Garcia-Shapiro, Phineas and Ferb's neighbor who Milo and his friends team up with to stop the Pistachions.
- Recurring Raccoon and Zippy: the World’s Fastest Koala (unvoiced), two running gags introduced in season 2 who cause all sorts of chaos and even have their own jingles.
- Dan Povenmire as Colonel Niblet, Head of a mysterious government agency. After a series of appearances throughout the series, Cavendish and Dakota are mistakenly blamed for destroying one of his facilities and make an enemy out of him.
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Lieutenant Tennant, A government lieutenant under Colonel Niblet.
- John Viener as the disembodied head of Norm, Doof's formerly giant robot man. His body was destroyed in the rubble of Doofenshmirtz Formerly-Evil Incorporated.
- Olivia Olson as Vanessa Doofenshmirtz, Doof's goth daughter from his failed marriage.
- Mitchell Musso as Jeremy Johnson, Candace Flynn's boyfriend, whom Cavendish and Dakota met at a Slushy Dawg in "Managing Murphy's Law".
- Maulik Pancholy as "Neal From the Comic Shop", Sara's love interest.
|First aired||Last aired||Network|
|1||36||20||October 3, 2016||December 2, 2017||Disney XD|
|2||37||20||January 5, 2019||May 18, 2019||Disney Channel|
On July 21, 2017, it was announced that a crossover with former Povenmire/Marsh series Phineas and Ferb, titled "The Phineas and Ferb Effect", was in development. The entire Phineas and Ferb cast reprised their roles for the special, with the exception of Thomas Sangster, the original voice of Ferb, due to schedule conflicts. Ferb was instead voiced by David Errigo, Jr. In the previous episode "Fungus Among Us", serving as the first season finale, Milo, Cavendish, Dakota, Orton Mahlson and Diogee encounter Dr. Heinz "Doof" Doofenshmirtz, referred by Milo as the future Professor Time, the creator of time travel. Following the crossover, the characters Doofenshmirtz, Perry the Platypus, Major Monogram and Carl joined the cast of Milo Murphy's Law in a main and recurring capacity respectively.
Milo Murphy's Law character Trucker Ted appeared in the Disney+ film Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe, with Bob Bowen reprising his role. "Weird Al" Yankovic was also slated to return as Milo Murphy in the film, but his scenes were deleted from the final film.
In Canada, the series premiered on Disney XD in October 2016. In the United Kingdom and Ireland, a preview aired on Disney Channel on December 26, 2016 and on Disney XD on December 12, 2016. The full series premiered on April 3, 2017 and in September 2017 on each respective channel. The series premiered on Disney XD channels in Australia and New Zealand on February 4, 2017 and in Sub-Saharan Africa on March 18, 2017. It debuted on Disney Channels in Southeast Asia on February 10, 2017 and in India on August 21, 2017, The series premiered on CITV in January 2019. The series premiered in Ukraine on PLUSPLUS channel on February 23, 2019.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2017||44th Annie Awards||Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Dan Povenmire and Kyle Menke for "Going the Extra Milo"||Nominated|
|44th Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Children’s Animated Program||Dan Povenmire (executive producer), Jeff "Swampy" Marsh (co-executive producer)||Nominated|
|Outstanding Writing in an Animated Program||Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, Kyle Menke, Dan Povenmire||Nominated|
|2018||45th Annie Awards||Outstanding Achievement for Writing in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production||Joshua Pruett for "The Island of the Lost Dakotas"||Nominated|
|2020||47th Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Special Class Animated Program||Nominated|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2020)
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (7 May 2015). "'Phineas & Ferb' Creators Land New Animated Comedy on Disney XD".
- "'Milo Murphy's Law' Starring Weird Al Debuts Oct. 3". Animation Magazine. August 23, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Milligan, Mercedes (February 4, 2016). "Weird Al Yankovic Stars in Disney XD's 'Milo Murphy's Law'". Animation Magazine. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "Dan & Swampy Against the Universe: Phineas and Ferb Milo Murphy Secrets Explained". Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "THIRD SEASON OF MILO MURPHY'S LAW ONLY POSSIBLE WITH THE HELP OF DISNEY+ VIEWERS". Retrieved 5 May 2020.
- Petski, Denise (4 February 2016). "'Weird Al' Yankovic To Voice Title Role In 'Milo Murphy's Law' For Disney XD". Deadline Hollywood.
Carpenter (Girl Meets World) and Curtis (Kirby Buckets) co-star as Milo’s friends Melissa Chase and Zack Underwood .. Slater (Mr. Robot) as Elliot Decker, a school crossing guard and Milo’s foe; Williams (Desperate Housewives) as Zack’s mom Eileen Underwood; Chalke (Scrubs) as science teacher Mrs. Murawski; Clement (Flight Of The Conchords) as popular television show character Dr. Zone; Mackenzie Phillips (One Day At A Time) as Principal Milder; Chrissie Fit (Teen Beach Movie) as classmate Amanda Lopez; Martella (Phineas And Ferb) as classmate Bradley Nicholson; Diedrich Bader (The Drew Carey Show) as Milo’s dad Martin Murphy; Pamela Adlon (Californication) as Milo’s mom Brigette Murphy; Kate Micucci (When In Rome) as Milo’s sister Sara Murphy; Dee Bradley Baker (Phineas And Ferb) as Milo’s dog Diogee; Gregory Michael Cipes (Ultimate Spider-Man) as classmate Mort Schaeffer; Michael Culross (Phineas And Ferb) as high school teacher Kyle Drako and Kevin Michael Richardson (The 7D) as Coach Nolan Mitchell.
- Dan Povenmire & Robert F. Hughes (directors) Dan Povenmire & Jeff "Swampy" Marsh & Kyle Menke (writers) (October 3, 2016). "Going the Extra Milo". Milo Murphy's Law. Season 1. Episode 1a. Disney XD.
- Bob Bowen (director) Joshua Pruett (writer) (October 17, 2016). "The Doctor Zone Files". Milo Murphy's Law. Season 1. Episode 3a. Disney XD.
- KyL416. "Disney Channel May Premieres". cabletvt. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (July 21, 2017). "Comic-Con: Disney XD Sets 'Milo Murphy's Law' and 'Phineas and Ferb' Crossover (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Disney XD (August 9, 2018). "Confirmation on Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved August 9, 2018.
- Vo, Ryan (October 2, 2016). "Disney XD Canada: Milo Murphy's Law Promo (2016)". YouTube. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Disney Channel UK - Milo Murphi's Law - 2 December 2016". YouTube. November 25, 2016. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Milo Murphy's law sneak peck air in the uk". YouTube. December 7, 2016. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- Clarke, Nigel (March 24, 2017). "Milo Murphy's Law BAFTA Preview Screening and Competition". Retrieved November 30, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Milo Murphy's Law Who is Milo Murphy? Official Disney XD UK". Disney XD UK. September 18, 2017. Retrieved November 30, 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Round the kids up for a brand new show on Disney XD Ch304. Milo Murphy's Law starts today at 14:15". DStv. March 18, 2017. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Milo Murphy's Law Promo #1 Disney Channel Asia". YouTube. January 13, 2017. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Milo Murphy's Law Hindi PROMO". YouTube. August 5, 2017. Retrieved November 30, 2017.