The Military Classic of the South is an American college football rivalry game played between The Citadel and the Virginia Military Institute. The first game between the two military schools was in 1920. The game has been played nearly continuously since World War II; since then, only five seasons have seen the game not played.
|First meeting||October 16, 1920|
|Latest meeting||October 2, 2021|
The Citadel, 35–24
|Next meeting||November 19, 2022|
at Lexington, Virginia
|All-time series||The Citadel leads, 43–32–2|
|Trophy series||The Citadel leads, 29–12–1|
|Largest victory||The Citadel, 50–0 (1992)|
|Longest win streak||The Citadel, 12 (2003–2018)|
|Current win streak||The Citadel, 1 (2021–present)|
The game has been played nearly continuously since World War II, with no matchup in 1956, 2004, and 2008–2010. The Citadel had won the past twelve meetings before VMI's victory in 2019. The Citadel leads the series 42–32–2. At one point in 1967, the Keydets led the series 18–8–1. The Military Classic is the thirteenth oldest still-played rivalry in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) of the NCAA. Both teams were members of the Southern Conference (SoCon) from 1936 until 2003, when VMI left for the Big South Conference and were reunited in the SoCon when VMI returned in 2014.
With the return of VMI to the Southern Conference, annual rivalries have been renewed in college baseball, women's soccer, track and field, and cross country. VMI remained in the SoCon in wrestling, and continued to compete annually with The Citadel in that sport while a full member of the Big South.
|The Citadel victories||VMI victories||Tie games|
Other varsity sportsEdit
|Sport||Last Matchup||All-Time Series|
|Baseball||April 15, 2022||Gray–Minor Stadium • Lexington, Virginia||VMI||5–2||1,814||The Citadel||85–39|
|April 16, 2022||Gray–Minor Stadium • Lexington, Virginia||VMI||3–2||132|
|April 17, 2022||Gray–Minor Stadium • Lexington, Virginia||VMI||22–57||154|
|Basketball||January 15, 2022||McAlister Field House • Charleston, SC||VMI||90–85||1,256||The Citadel||60–58|
|February 12, 2022||Cameron Hall • Lexington, VA||The Citadel||83–79||3,745|
|Women's Soccer||October 8, 2021||Patchin Field • Lexington, VA||The Citadel||2–0||626||The Citadel||8–7|
|October 26, 2021[a]||WLI Field • Charleston, SC||The Citadel||4–1||227|
|Wrestling||February 20, 2022||McAlister Field House • Charleston, SC||The Citadel||32–5||N/A||VMI||43–25|
- SoCon Tournament
- "SoCon Football Week 10: A Historical Sketch of the 'Battle For The Silver Shako'". Medium.com. November 3, 2015. Retrieved February 7, 2017.
- Kara, Klein. "Virginia Military Institute (VMI) vs The Citadel football - The Citadel - Charleston, SC". www.citadel.edu.
- "Silver Shako".
- "CSTV Adds VMI-Citadel "Military Classic of the South" To Fall Football Line-Up". Big South Conference. July 11, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- "VMI, Citadel play their 'Classic'". USA Today. November 15, 2002. Retrieved February 7, 2017.
- 2020 Baseball Record Book (PDF). The Citadel Bulldogs. p. 147. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- 2020 Baseball Record Book (PDF). VMI Keydets. p. 4. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- 2019–20 Basketball Record Book (PDF). The Citadel Bulldogs. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- "2020–21 Basketball Game Notes: At Citadel" (PDF). VMI Keydets. February 19, 2021. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- 2020 Women's Soccer Record Book (PDF). The Citadel Bulldogs. p. 65. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- VMI Women's Soccer Record Book (PDF). VMI Keydets. p. 7. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- 2020 Wrestling Record Book (PDF). The Citadel Bulldogs. p. 2. Retrieved February 26, 2021.
- 2019–20 Wrestling Record Book (PDF). VMI Keydets. p. 8–9. Retrieved February 26, 2021.