Mike Wright (baseball)
Dennis Michael Wright Jr. (born January 3, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Seattle Mariners organization. He has previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Baltimore Orioles and Seattle Mariners.
Wright with the Baltimore Orioles
|Born: January 3, 1990|
Bennettsville, South Carolina
|May 17, 2015, for the Baltimore Orioles|
|MLB statistics |
(through June 30, 2019)
|Earned run average||6.03|
Wright was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the third round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft out of East Carolina University. During his first professional season he went 3-2 with a 5.72 earned run average with 42 strikeouts in 45 2⁄3 innings. Pitching for the Frederick Keys and Bowie Baysox in 2012 he went 10-5 with a 4.06 ERA.
Wright started the 2013 season with Baysox. He finished the season with the Norfolk Tides. He was the Jim Palmer Minor League Pitcher of the Year Award after going 11–3 with a 3.11 ERA and 138 strikeouts. He returned to Norfolk to start the 2014 season.
Wright made his first career major league start on May 17, 2015 against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He went 7 1⁄3 innings, striking out 6, allowed 4 hits, no runs, and no walks in order to get the win, 3-0. In 12 games, 9 of them starts, Wright went 3-5 with a 6.04 ERA in 44 2⁄3 innings.
Wright was named the Orioles fourth starter at the conclusion of Spring Training. He began in the rotation but struggled and was sent down to the minors. He split time between the O's rotation and the AAA level. In 18 games for the Orioles, 12 of them being in the rotation, Wright went 3-4 with a 5.79 ERA in 74 2⁄3 innings.
Wright spent the majority of the season at the AAA level, receiving a callup to the Majors towards the end of the season. He finished with a 5.76 ERA in 13 games.
Wright pitched exclusively out of the bullpen for the O's, totaling 48 appearances. He finished with 84 1⁄3 innings pitched.
Wright was on the Opening day roster for the Orioles. He had an ERA of 9.45 through 10 appearances. On April 21, 2019, Wright was designated for assignment to make space for Gabriel Ynoa on the roster.
On April 24, 2019, he was traded to the Seattle Mariners for infielder Ryne Ogren. He was designated for assignment on May 19, 2019. On June 23, his contract was selected. On July 5, he was designated for assignment.
Wright throws 5 pitches: a four seam fastball that averages around 96 MPH, a sinker at around 93, a changeup at around 82, a slider at about 86, and a curveball at around 75.
- "ECU's Wright snared by Orioles in draft". The Daily Reflector. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Steve Melewski: O's third-round pick got his feet wet at Aberdeen before moving to Delmarva". MASNsports. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Steve Melewski: Checking on another pitching prospect: A look at right-hander Mike Wright". MASNsports. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Steve Melewski: Wright gets on a roll at Bowie". MASNsports. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Orioles announce 2013 Award Winners for Player Development and Scouting". Baltimore Orioles. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Urrutia, Wright win top minor league awards". tribunedigital-baltimoresun. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Todd, Jeff (April 24, 2019). "Mariners Acquire Mike Wright". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- RotoWire Staff (June 23, 2019). "Mariners' Mike Wright Jr.: Returns to big leagues". CBS Sports. Retrieved June 23, 2019.
- Seattle Mariners (July 5, 2019). "Right-handed Pitcher Mike Wright is designated for assignment". MLB.com. Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "Player Card: Mike Wright". brooksbaseball.net. Retrieved May 22, 2015.