|Born:||Hightstown, New Jersey|
|High school:||Peddie School|
|Career highlights and awards|
He graduated from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut with a bachelor's degree in economics. Before that, he attended the Peddie School in Hightstown, NJ. Maccagnan played lacrosse and football in high school and also for Trinity College.
He joined the Washington Redskins scouting department as an intern during the team's training camp in 1990. He joined the front-office of the newly-founded World League of American Football as a league scout before becoming the director of player personnel for the London Monarchs in 1991.
Maccagnan was reunited with the Washington Redskins as a scout from 1995 to 2000. He then joined the Houston Texans shortly after Charley Casserly's appointment as general manager. He spent 15 years with the organization, starting as a coordinator of college scouting, rising in 2011 to Director of College Scouting.
Maccagnan was hired as the general manager of the New York Jets on January 13, 2015. Shortly following his hiring, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles was hired as the new head coach. On December 29, 2017 it was announced he had signed a contract extension through 2020. He was fired by the Jets on May 15, 2019, and was replaced by Joe Douglas in June.
- Cosentino, Dom (January 13, 2015). "Mike Maccagnan: 10 things to know about Jets' new general manager". New Jersey On-Line LLC. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- Cimini, Rick (January 14, 2015). "Jets hire Mike Maccagnan as GM". ESPN. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Lange, Randy (January 13, 2015). "Jets Name Mike Maccagnan New General Manager". New York Jets. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Statement from Jets Chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson on Mike Maccagnan". Official Site of the New York Jets. May 15, 2019. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- The Associated Press. "Jets Hire Joe Douglas as Their General Manager". New York Times.