Michel Krieger (born March 4, 1986) is a Brazilian-American entrepreneur and software engineer who co-founded Instagram along with Kevin Systrom, and served as its CTO. Under Krieger as CTO, Instagram expanded from a few million users to 1 billion monthly active users.
Krieger in 2018
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Known for||Co-founder of Instagram|
|Net worth||US$300 million (2018)|
On September 24, 2018, it was announced that Krieger and Systrom are resigning from Instagram.
Early life and educationEdit
The two co-founded Instagram in 2010. Krieger and Systrom had the idea of building a check-in app, before they made it exclusive for pictures. During the early days, most of the Instagram’s engineering and user experience were developed solely by Krieger. One of the stories related to Instagram’s early days that Krieger recalled is :
“One time I woke up and there was an email saying that the site went down, and I was like, who fixed it? Shane, did you fix it? Kev, did you fix it? No. And eventually on the terminal, you press up and you get to see what was the last thing you typed. So, apparently, at 3:30 in the morning I somehow managed to, in a completely drunken state, revive Instagram. That’s how much we were struggling in those days.”
After Instagram was acquired by Facebook, Krieger was committed to building and growing Instagram independently. As the user base expanded, Krieger ensured that the platform gives small businesses opportunities to thrive, and that it remains a safe place for teenagers.
In April 2015, Krieger announced a partnership with charity evaluator GiveWell, committing US$750,000 over the next two years. The funds are to support operations, with 90% allocated to grants identified and recommended through the Open Philanthropy Project process. Kaitlyn, in a blog about the partnership, describes the couple's philanthropic vision as:
We believe that all people deserve a free, vibrant, and productive life. To support this vision, we identify and champion forward-thinking ideas, and help scale solutions that work. To create significant, sustainable change, we are committed to systems-level thinking and rigorous analysis. We advocate collaboration and transparency to engage a broader community and magnify our impact.
Krieger is married to Kaitlyn Trigger.
- Katherine Rushton (2012-01-24). "Who's getting rich from Facebook's $1bn Instagram deal?". The Telegraph.
- "Instagram hits 1 billion monthly users, up from 800M in September". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- Joe Garofoli (2012-01-24). "Steve Jobs' widow, Instagram founder sitting with Michelle Obama at State of the Union". SFGate.com.
- Somini Sengupta, Nicole Perlroth and Jenna Wortham (2012-04-13). "Behind Instagram's Success, Networking the Old Way". New York Times.
- Christine Longorio (2012-04-09). "Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, Founders of Instagram". Inc. magazine.
- Keynote: Instagram Founders Kevin Systrom & Mike Krieger | SXSW 2019, retrieved 2019-10-25
- "Mike Krieger on Instagram: "I love the story behind Donuts Damari (@donutsdamari). The founders, Carolina and Mariana, started their company a year ago, and deliver…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- "Mike Krieger on Instagram: "Today, Instagram announced a set of new products at the #f82018 conference, including integrations with other apps like @spotify, a new…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- Karnofsky, Holden (23 April 2015). "Co-funding Partnership with Kaitlyn Trigger and Mike Krieger". GiveWell.
- Trigger, Kaitlyn (23 April 2015). "Statement from Kaitlyn Trigger & Mike Krieger: Why We're Partnering with the Open Philanthropy Project". GiveWell.
- Sarah Thornton, "Kaitlyn Trigger On Her Wedding to Instagram Co-Founder Mike Krieger, Being a Woman in Tech, and Her Growing Art Collection", August 11, 2015