Michel "Mike" Krieger (born March 4, 1986) is a Brazilian entrepreneur and software engineer who co-founded Instagram along with Kevin Systrom. On September 24, 2018, it was announced that Krieger has resigned from Instagram and will be leaving in few weeks.
|Residence||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Known for||Co-founder of Instagram|
|Net worth||US$300 million (2018)|
Krieger was born in São Paulo, Brazil, and moved to California in 2004 to attend Stanford University. At Stanford, where he studied symbolic systems, he met Kevin Systrom. The two co-founded Instagram in 2010. He made the updates for Instagram for the first 3 years it was public. He is married to Kaitlyn Trigger.
In April 2015, Krieger announced a partnership with charity evaluator GiveWell, committing US$750,000 over the next two years. The funds are to support operations, with 90% allocated to grants identified and recommended through the Open Philanthropy Project process. Kaitlyn, in a blog about the partnership, describes the couple's philanthropic vision as:
We believe that all people deserve a free, vibrant, and productive life. To support this vision, we identify and champion forward-thinking ideas, and help scale solutions that work. To create significant, sustainable change, we are committed to systems-level thinking and rigorous analysis. We advocate collaboration and transparency to engage a broader community and magnify our impact.
- Katherine Rushton (2012-01-24). "Who's getting rich from Facebook's $1bn Instagram deal?". The Telegraph.
- Isaac, Mike (2018-09-24). "Instagram's Co-Founders to Step Down From Company". The New York Times. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Lyons, Kate (2018-09-25). "Instagram co-founders resign to explore 'creativity again'". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- Joe Garofoli (2012-01-24). "Steve Jobs' widow, Instagram founder sitting with Michelle Obama at State of the Union". SFGate.com.
- Somini Sengupta, Nicole Perlroth and Jenna Wortham (2012-04-13). "Behind Instagram's Success, Networking the Old Way". New York Times.
- Christine Longorio (2012-04-09). "Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, Founders of Instagram". Inc. magazine.
- Sarah Thornton, "Kaitlyn Trigger On Her Wedding to Instagram Co-Founder Mike Krieger, Being a Woman in Tech, and Her Growing Art Collection", August 11, 2015
- Karnofsky, Holden (23 April 2015). "Co-funding Partnership with Kaitlyn Trigger and Mike Krieger". GiveWell.
- Trigger, Kaitlyn (23 April 2015). "Statement from Kaitlyn Trigger & Mike Krieger: Why We're Partnering with the Open Philanthropy Project". GiveWell.