Michael Beam is an American government official who serves as the Kansas Secretary of Agriculture. Prior to his appointment to the position by Governor Laura Kelly, Beam served as Senior Vice President for the Kansas Livestock Association.
|Acting Kansas Secretary of Agriculture|
|Assumed office |
January 14, 2019
|Preceded by||Jackie McClaskey|
|Education||Kansas State University (BA)|
Following his graduation for Kansas State University with a degree in Animal Sciences, Beam joined the Kansas Livestock Association as a Field Representative. The Kansas Livestock Association acts as the primary advocacy organization for the state's livestock industry on legislative and industry issues. Over the next 38 years, Beam worked a variety of positions for the organization, including as Executive Director of Ranchland Trust of Kansas, and finally as Senior Vice President. Beam also served as President of Agribusiness Council of Kansas City.
Kansas Secretary of AgricultureEdit
On January 10, 2019, Kelly announced that she would appoint Beam as Kansas Secretary of Agriculture following her inauguration on January 14, 2019. Beam is serving in an interim capacity, pending confirmation by the Kansas Senate.
- "Kansas Department of Agriculture - Secretary Mike Beam". Agriculture.ks.gov. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Mike Beam Named Kansas Sec. of Agriculture". Drovers.com. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Ranchers Elected To Lead Kansas Livestock Association". Drovers.com. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "New Kansas governor fills out administration ahead of inauguration". 2.Ljworld.com. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- Carpenter, Tim. "Gov.-elect Laura Kelly fills agriculture, administration Cabinet posts". The Topeka Capital-Journal. Retrieved 11 March 2019.