Midden-Delfland (Dutch: [ˈmɪdə(n)ˈdɛl(ə)flɑnt] (listen)) is a municipality (gemeente) in the Westland region in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands. It had a population of 19,391 in 2019, and covers an area of 49.38 km2 (19.07 sq mi) of which 2.19 km2 (0.85 sq mi) is water.
|Established||1 January 2004|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Arnoud Rodenburg (CDA)|
|• Total||49.38 km2 (19.07 sq mi)|
|• Land||47.19 km2 (18.22 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.19 km2 (0.85 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−2 m (−7 ft)|
|• Density||411/km2 (1,060/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||010, 015|
It was formed on January 1, 2004, through the merger of the former municipalities:
The municipality comprises the population centres:
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Midden-Delfland, June 2015
The green area that comprises the municipality of Midden-Delfland was named Midden-Delfland before 2004, and it referred to the green area surrounded by cities (such as The Hague and Rotterdam) and the horticulture area of Westland. The supporters of a continuous green area were lucky that the municipality of Midden-Delfland became a reality: the cities of Delft, Vlaardingen and Schiedam wanted to build new houses here, and the Westland gardeners also wanted to expand. Now, Midden-Delfland is designated as a recreation area for people from the surrounding cities.
- Jan Vermeer van Utrecht (1630 in Schipluiden – ca. 1696) a Dutch Golden Age painter
- Marja van Bijsterveldt (born 1961) a Dutch politician, Mayor of Delft since 2016
- IJsbrand Chardon (born 1961) a Dutch equestrian and winner at the World Equestrian Games
- Ronald Vuijk (born 1965) a Dutch politician, alderman of Midden-Delfland 2011/2012
- Gerben Moerman (born 1976 in Schipluiden) a Dutch sociologist and academic
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2004" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2004]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Samenstelling college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Midden-Delfland. Archived from the original on 7 September 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 2636HX". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.