Midden-Delfland (Dutch: [ˈmɪdə(n) ˈdɛlflɑnt] (listen)) is a municipality (gemeente) in the Westland region in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands. It had a population of 19,391 in 2019, and covers an area of 49.38 km2 (19.07 sq mi) of which 2.19 km2 (0.85 sq mi) is water.
Canal through Zweth
Location in South Holland
|Established||1 January 2004|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Arnoud Rodenburg (CDA)|
|• Total||49.38 km2 (19.07 sq mi)|
|• Land||47.19 km2 (18.22 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.19 km2 (0.85 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−2 m (−7 ft)|
|• Density||411/km2 (1,060/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||010, 015|
It was formed on January 1, 2004, through the merger of the former municipalities:
The municipality comprises the population centres:
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Midden-Delfland, June 2015
The green area that comprises the municipality of Midden-Delfland was named Midden-Delfland before 2004, and it referred to the green area surrounded by cities (such as The Hague and Rotterdam) and the horticulture area of Westland. The supporters of a continuous green area were lucky that the municipality of Midden-Delfland became a reality: the cities of Delft, Vlaardingen and Schiedam wanted to build new houses here, and the Westland gardeners also wanted to expand. Now, Midden-Delfland is designated as a recreation area for people from the surrounding cities.
- Jan Vermeer van Utrecht (1630 in Schipluiden – ca. 1696) a Dutch Golden Age painter
- Marja van Bijsterveldt (born 1961) a Dutch politician, Mayor of Delft since 2016
- IJsbrand Chardon (born 1961) a Dutch equestrian and winner at the World Equestrian Games
- Ronald Vuijk (born 1965) a Dutch politician, alderman of Midden-Delfland 2011/2012
- Gerben Moerman (born 1976 in Schipluiden) a Dutch sociologist and academic
- "Gemeentelijke indeling op 1 januari 2004" [Municipal divisions on 1 January 2004]. cbs.nl (in Dutch). CBS. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Samenstelling college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Midden-Delfland. Archived from the original on 7 September 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 2636HX". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Midden-Delfland.|