Michiyo Aratama (新珠三千代, Aratama Michiyo, January 15, 1930 – March 17, 2001) was a Japanese film and stage actress.
January 15, 1930
|Died||March 17, 2001 (aged 71)|
After graduating from the Takarazuka Music and Dance School, Aratama joined the Takarazuka Revue in 1945. She gave her film debut in 1951, but it was not before 1955 that she left the Takarazuka Revue, signing first with Nikkatsu film studios, then, after her contract expired, with Toho. She worked for directors such as Mikio Naruse, Yasujirō Ozu and Masaki Kobayashi, appearing in films like The Human Condition, The End of Summer, Kwaidan and 47 Ronin. Since the late 1970s, she concentrated solely on stage and television work. Due to health problems, she reduced her appearances after 1994. She died of heart failure in 2001.
|1955||The Heart||Kon Ichikawa|
|1956||The Balloon||Yūzō Kawashima|
|Suzaki Paradise: Red Light||Tsutae||Yūzō Kawashima||Lead role|
|1958||A Holiday in Tokyo||Kajirō Yamamoto|
|Summer Clouds||Yae||Mikio Naruse|
|1959||The Human Condition||Michiko||Masaki Kobayashi|
|1961||The End of Summer||Fumiko||Yasujirō Ozu|
|1962||47 Ronin||Hiroshi Inagaki|
|1963||The Elegant Life of Mr. Everyman||Natsuko||Kihachi Okamoto|
|1965||Samurai Assassin||Kihachi Okamoto|
|1966||The Stranger Within a Woman||Mikio Naruse|
|Sword of Doom||Ohama||Kihachi Okamoto|
|1967||Lost Spring||Noboru Nakamura||Lead role|
|1968||Hymn to a Tired Man||Masaki Kobayashi|
|1969||Chōkōsō no Akebono||Sachiko||Hideo Sekigawa|
|1969||Ten to Chi to||Kesa Gozen||NHK||Taiga drama|
|1972||Shin Heike Monogatari||Gion no Nyogo||NHK||Taiga drama|
|1976||Kaze to Kumo to Niji to||Masako||NHK||Taiga drama|
Michiyo Aratama received the Blue Ribbon Award for Best Supporting Actress for The Human Condition and Watashi wa kai ni naritai, and the Kinema Junpo Award for Best Actress for The Human Condition. She was awarded the Mainichi Film Concour for Best Supporting Actress for The End of Summer and Minami no kaze to nami.
- "新珠三千代 (Michiyo Aratama)". Kotobank (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- "新珠三千代 (Michiyo Aratama)". Kinenote (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- "天と地と". Haiyaku Jiten (in Japanese). Retrieved 20 August 2021.
- "1959 Blue Ribbon Awards (consigned in February 1960)" (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- "Awards for The Human Condition". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- "毎日映画コンクール 第16回 (16th Mainichi Film Awards)" (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 February 2021.