Michelle Marjorie Gordon High Court of Australia. Her Honour was appointed to the High Court in June 2015. Immediately prior to her appointment she was a Justice of the Federal Court of Australia, to which she was appointed in 2007.(born 19 November 1964) is a Justice of the
|Justice of the High Court of Australia|
|Assumed office |
9 June 2015
|Nominated by||Tony Abbott|
|Appointed by||Sir Peter Cosgrove|
|Preceded by||Kenneth Hayne|
Michelle Marjorie Gordon
19 November 1964
Perth, Western Australia
Kenneth Hayne (m. 1995)
|Alma mater||University of Western Australia|
Gordon was born in Perth, Western Australia in 1964, to George Gordon and Coral Troy, and received her secondary schooling at St Mary's Anglican Girls' School and Presbyterian Ladies' College. She graduated from the University of Western Australia with a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B., B.Juris.).
From 1987, Gordon practised as a solicitor in the Western Australian firm Robinson Cox, and in 1992 was a senior associate at Arthur Robinson & Hedderwicks. In 1992, she became a barrister and in 2003, took silk as a Senior Counsel on the Victorian Bar.
Gordon was appointed a judge of the Federal Court of Australia on 20 April 2007. In one judgment, Gordon said that Coles Supermarkets "threatened harm to suppliers if they didn't meet their demands". In 2014, she ruled against ANZ in a class action on credit card fees. ANZ appealed this decision and were successful in overturning her findings at the Full Court of the Federal Court in 2015. The applicant in the class action then appealed to the High Court of Australia, which heard the appeal and handed down the decision after Gordon was appointed to the High Court (though without her sitting on the appeal). A majority of the High Court dismissed the appeal in 2016, ruling in favour of ANZ.
In April 2015, the Abbott Government announced that Justice Gordon would replace her husband, Kenneth Hayne, on the bench of the High Court of Australia upon his compulsory retirement on reaching the age of 70. Justice Gordon was sworn in on 9 June 2015.
- "Michelle Gordon". High Court of Australia. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "New High Court judge Michelle Gordon lauded as a 'fabulous' lawyer and jurist". Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Who's Who in Australia, ConnectWeb
- "Coles ordered to pay $11.2 million in penalties, legal fees for mistreating suppliers". ABC News.
- "ANZ class action: lawyers say partial victory opens way for claims against other banks". ABC News.
- "Michelle Gordon appointed new justice of the High Court of Australia". ABC News. 14 April 2015. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- The Hon Michelle Marjorie GORDON (Federal Court of Australia)