Michele Campagnaro (Italian pronunciation: [miˈkɛːle kampaɲˈɲaːro]; born 13 March 1993) is an Italian rugby union player who plays as a centre. He currently plays for Harlequins in the English Premiership and Italy national rugby union team.
|Birth name||Michele Campagnaro|
|Date of birth||13 March 1993|
|Place of birth||Mirano, Veneto, Italy|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||99 kg (15 st 8 lb; 218 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Campagnaro took a while to find his feet in the Chiefs' first team, scoring his first try for the club against the Cardiff Blues in the Anglo-Welsh Cup. He had a run of games in the number 13 jersey during January 2017 that saw him score six tries in four matches, including a hat-trick against Wasps. He was a replacement as Exeter Chiefs defeated Wasps to be crowned champions of the 2016-17 English Premiership.
Following his departure from Exeter, he signed for Wasps on a deal until the end of the 2018-19 season. On 19 March 2019, Campagnaro has signed for Harlequins from the 2019-20 season, after the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Campagnaro has caps for Italy including four appearances in the 2015 Rugby World Cup. He made his international debut vs Fiji on 23 November 2013. He has scored four tries for Italy including two in the Six Nations match between Wales and Italy in 2014 which Wales won 23-15 despite Campagnaro scoring twice. Campagnaro won many plaudits for his Man of the match performance.
He was injured for much of the 2015 Six Nations campaign.
Campagnaro returned to the Italy team during the 2016 tournament and was one of the team's standout performers, in an otherwise disappointing campaign.
In the 2017 Six Nations, Campagnaro came off the bench in the first two games against Wales and Ireland. He started Italy's third test of the championship against England at Twickenham. In the 59th minute of this game, Campagnaro scored a magnificent solo try which saw him evade challenges from both George Ford and Mike Brown.
- / RabodirectPRO12, O'Donohue leaves it late to rescue Connacht, 29 May 2013 Archived 2013-05-19 at the Wayback Machine
- / Rai Sport, Connacht 23-23 Benetton, 29 May 2013
- "Exeter Chiefs sign Italy and Treviso centre Michele Campagnaro". BBC Sport. 19 February 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "Exeter Chiefs v Wasps". BBC. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Premiership final: Wasps 20-23 Exeter Chiefs (aet)". BBC. 27 May 2017. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Wasps: Michele Campagnaro joins from Exeter on short-term deal". BBC Sport. 13 November 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- "Michele Campagnaro to join Harlequins when Wasps contract ends". Coventry Telegraph. 19 March 2019. Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- Twickenham, Robert Kitson at (26 February 2017). "Jack Nowell propels England past spirited Italy after first-half scare". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 27 February 2017.