Micheldever railway station
Micheldever railway station, in the village of Micheldever Station, serves Micheldever (approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) to the south) and the surrounding area in Hampshire, England. It is a flint building with an added veranda. The station is on the South Western Main Line, 58 miles 4 chains (93.4 km) down the line from London Waterloo towards Southampton and is managed by South Western Railway. The station is near the A303 Basingstoke to Andover road approximately 2.5 miles (4 km) from the village.
|Local authority||City of Winchester|
|Managed by||South Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||3 (2 in use)|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|11 May 1840||opened as Andover Road|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Micheldever from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
It was originally called "Andover Road" until Andover got its own station. Following the construction of the station, a cluster of houses and small shops (including the Canada Stores) were attracted to the area, creating the village known as Micheldever Station. No shops remain, though there is a tyre merchant and trailer supplier trading there.
Just prior to electrification of the line in 1967 the track layout was changed when the two side platforms were replaced by an island platform between the tracks.
Generally a train leaves hourly in each direction. Trains towards London Waterloo call at Basingstoke, Farnborough (Main) (Mondays-Saturdays only), Woking (every day) and Clapham Junction (Sundays only). Trains towards Portsmouth Harbour call at Winchester, Eastleigh, Hedge End, Botley, Fareham, Portchester, Cosham, Hilsea, Fratton and Portsmouth and Southsea. On Sundays they call at Winchester, Shawford (every two hours) and Eastleigh, where the train divides: The front part of the train runs to Poole, calling at Southampton Airport Parkway, Southampton Central, Totton, Ashurst New Forest, Beaulieu Road, Brockenhurst, Sway, New Milton, Hinton Admiral, Christchurch, Pokesdown and Bournemouth. The rear part of the train travels to Portsmouth as described above.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Basingstoke||South Western Railway
South Western Main Line
A local bus service to Winchester is provided by Mervyn's Coaches, but with only one trip in each direction on weekdays. There is no bus service at weekends.
Wagons in the goods yard, 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Micheldever railway station.|
- Table 158 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Former oil terminal, Micheldever, Hampshire (land disposal) (PDF) (Report). Office of Rail Regulation. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
-  Archived 20 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map