Michael Waldron (born April 23, 1987) is an American screenwriter and producer known for his work on television series Rick and Morty and Heels, as well as creating the Marvel Cinematic Universe series Loki and writing the script for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022) and Avengers: Secret Wars (2025).
|Born||April 23, 1987|
In February 2014, Waldron was enrolled in the MFA screenwriting program at Pepperdine University and was an intern for the Adult Swim show Rick and Morty during its first season when he was hired by the show's co-creator Dan Harmon to be part of the production staff of Harmon's NBC series Community for its fifth season. In February 2017, he was writing the series Heels for Starz. By August 2017, he was executive producing the YouTube Red series Good Game.
In February 2019, he was hired as head writer and executive producer on the Disney+ series Loki (2021). In November 2019, after producing several Rick and Morty episodes, Waldron wrote the season four episode "The Old Man and the Seat". In February 2020, he began writing the script for the film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022). In January 2021, he was hired to write the screenplay for Kevin Feige's untitled Star Wars film, while also signing an overall deal with Disney. In June 2021, Chris McKay revealed that The Lego Batman Movie sequel script was being written by Waldron and Dan Harmon, with Waldron revealing that the film was tentatively titled Lego Superfriends.
On October 3, 2022, Deadline Hollywood reported that Waldron would once again be collaborating with Marvel Studios, having been set to script Avengers: Secret Wars, set to be released on November 7, 2025.
|Denotes productions that have not yet been released|
|2017||Good Game||No||Executive||6 episodes|
|2019–2020||Rick and Morty||Yes||Yes||Writing: episode, "The Old Man and the Seat"|
|2022||Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness||Yes||No||Actor: Christine Palmer's Wedding Guest|
|2025||Avengers: Secret Wars||Yes||No||In-development|
|TBA||Untitled Kevin Feige Star Wars film||Yes||No||In-development|
|List of awards and nominations|
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Series||Result||Ref.|
|Primetime Emmy Award||September 19, 2020||Outstanding Animated Program||Rick and Morty (for "The Vat of Acid Episode")||Won|||
- "Michael Waldron (23/04/1987)". EcranLarge.com (in French). Retrieved April 18, 2022.
- Stevens, Colin (February 16, 2019). "'Loki' Streaming Series Sets 'Rick and Morty's Michael Waldron as Showrunner". IGN. Retrieved January 8, 2020.
- Robinson, Joanna (June 3, 2021). "How the Man Behind Loki Is Shaping Marvel's Phase 4 and Beyond". Vanity Fair. Retrieved June 3, 2021.
- Weintraub, Steve (June 13, 2021). "Michael Waldron Goes Deep on 'Loki,' 'Doctor Strange 2,' and How He Got His Break in Hollywood". Collider. Retrieved June 12, 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 17, 2017). "Wrestling Drama 'Heels' From Paramount TV Heats Up At Starz, Eyeing Series Order". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Alexander, Julia (June 23, 2017). "YouTube, Dan Harmon are hopping on TV's newest trend with scripted esports comedy". Polygon. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Kit, Borys (February 15, 2019). "Marvel's 'Loki' Series Lands 'Rick and Morty' Writer (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on February 16, 2019. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Kit, Borys (February 7, 2020). "'Doctor Strange 2' Lands New Writer With 'Loki' Show Creator (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on February 8, 2020. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Kroll, Justin (January 7, 2021). "'Loki' Exec Producer Michael Waldron Tapped To Write Kevin Feige's 'Star Wars' Movie As Part Of New Deal With Disney". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Archived from the original on January 7, 2021. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Motamayor, Rafael (June 14, 2021). "The Scrapped 'LEGO Batman' Sequel Was Being Written by Dan Harmon and Michael Waldron, and the Story Sounds Incredible". Collider. Archived from the original on June 14, 2021. Retrieved June 12, 2022.
- @michaelwaldron (June 14, 2021). "Loved this project and especially our title page" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Kroll, Justin (October 3, 2022). "'Avengers: Secret Wars': Michael Waldron Tapped To Pen Upcoming Installment For Marvel Studios". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on October 3, 2022. Retrieved October 3, 2022.
- Flook, Ray (November 18, 2019). ""Rick and Morty" Season 4 "The Old Man and the Seat": A Tale of Love, Loss & Poop". Bleeding Cool. Avatar Press. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Swift, Andy (October 30, 2020). "Stephen Amell Sustains Back Injury on Set of Starz Wrestling Drama Heels". TVLine. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- Sneider, Jeff (February 7, 2020). "'Doctor Strange 2' Taps 'Loki' Scribe Michael Waldron to Rewrite Script". Collider. Archived from the original on February 8, 2020. Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- "Michael Waldron - Emmy Awards, Nominations and Wins". Emmys. Retrieved January 10, 2021.