Michael James Tomlinson-Mynors (born 1 October 1977) is a British politician serving as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Mid Dorset and North Poole since 2015. A member of the Conservative Party, he served as Deputy Chairman of the European Research Group (ERG) from 20 November 2016 until 19 March 2018.
|Deputy Chairman of the|
European Research Group
20 November 2016 – 19 March 2018
Serving with Suella Braverman
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Succeeded by||Mark Francois|
|Member of Parliament|
for Mid Dorset and North Poole
|Assumed office |
7 May 2015
|Preceded by||Annette Brooke|
|Born||1 October 1977|
Wokingham, Berkshire, England
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Tomlinson was educated at Hereford Cathedral School and graduated from King's College London with a BA in Classics before studying for a Postgraduate Diploma in Law at the College of Law and becoming a barrister at Middle Temple. He was awarded the Queen Mother Scholarship and represented Middle Temple in international mooting competitions in the United States and Hong Kong.
Tomlinson has represented the constituency of Mid Dorset and North Poole since the 2015 General Election. He lists his main areas of interest as education, employment, infrastructure and justice. He made his maiden speech in the House of Commons on 22 June 2015 during a debate on the Education and Adoption Bill. Tomlinson is currently the Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Youth Employment.
Tomlinson is currently a member of the European Scrutiny Committee. He voted for the UK to hold a referendum on continued membership of the European Union and he subsequently supported the campaign to leave the European Union.
Tomlinson was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the ministers at the Department of International Development in July 2017 and was promoted to Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Secretary of State, Penny Mordaunt, in January 2018. He had previously been involved in pro bono legal projects in Rwanda and Sierra Leone. He was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to Dominic Raab, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union in November 2018, less than 48 hours before the latter resigned from the Cabinet. Shortly thereafter Tomlinson wrote an article in The Daily Telegraph, in which he expressed reservations about the terms of the agreement to withdraw from the European Union negotiated by Theresa May.
In May 1997, Tomlinson made one appearance in Minor County Cricket, playing for Herefordshire against Dorset, when he did not bat or bowl. He is currently a member of the Lords and Commons Cricket Club.
- Parliamentary Member's Names Information Service.
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015. p. 9121.
- "Mid Dorset and North Poole Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. Retrieved 7 May 2015.
- "Michael Tomlinson - 3PB Barristers' Chambers". www.3pb.co.uk. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Michael Tomlinson MP About Me". Michael Tomlinson MP. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Michael Tomlinson MP, Mid Dorset and North Poole - TheyWorkForYou". TheyWorkForYou. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "About Us". APPG for Youth Employment. 2 July 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "European Scrutiny Committee - Membership". UK Parliament. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Tomlinson says no to European Union". Bournemouth Echo. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Michael joins Department of International Development". Michael Tomlinosn MP. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Michael Tomlinson" (PDF). Michael Tomlinosn MP. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Michael Tomlinosn MP" (PDF). Michael Tomlinosn MP. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Dorset MP takes on new Brexit-role". Bournemouth Echo. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Michael Tomlinson says the Prime Minister's Brexit deal "may be even worse than we had been led to expect."". Bournemouth Echo. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "This deal is worse than we expected. It's time for a clean, global exit". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Michael John Tomlinson". Cricket Archive. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Dorset v Herefordshire". Cricket Archive. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "About Me". Michael Tomlinson MP. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Mid Dorset and North Poole