Michael Sean Mahoney
Michael Sean Mahoney (June 30, 1939 – July 23, 2008) was a historian of science.
Mahoney was born in New York City, and did his undergraduate studies at Harvard University, graduating in 1960. He earned a Ph.D. in history and history of science from Princeton University in 1967, and immediately took a position as an assistant professor there. He remained at Princeton for over 40 years, until his death in 2008.
A conference on the history of science and technology was held in his honor at Princeton in May 2009.
- Mahoney, Michael Sean, The mathematical career of Pierre de Fermat. Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J., 1973. xviii+419 pp.
- Mahoney, Michael Sean, The mathematical career of Pierre de Fermat, 1601–1665. Second edition. Princeton Paperbacks. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1994. xxii+432 pp. ISBN 0-691-03666-7
- Mahoney, Michael S., Barrow's mathematics: between ancients and moderns. Before Newton, 179–249, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1990.
- Mahoney, Michael S., Die Anfänge der algebraischen Denkweise im 17. Jahrhundert. (German) RETE 1 (1971/72), no. 1, 15–31.
- Stevens, Ruth (July 25, 2008), "Michael S. Mahoney, historian of science and devoted faculty member, dies", News at Princeton, Princeton University.
- Buchwald, Jed Z.; Burnett, D. Graham (2009), "Michael S. Mahoney, 1939–2008" (PDF), Isis, 100: 623–626, doi:10.1086/649137.
- William Aspray, "Michael Sean Mahoney (1939-2008)", IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol.36, no. 3, pp. 70-79, July-Sept. 2014, doi:10.1109/MAHC.2014.41
- Gordin, Michael D.; Byrne, James (2009), The Historical Career of Michael Sean Mahoney (PDF), Princeton Program in History of Science.
- Gabbey, Alan (1975), "The Mathematical Career of Pierre de Fermat (1601-1665) by Michael Sean Mahoney", The British Journal for the History of Science, 8 (1): 81–84, doi:10.1017/s0007087400013819, JSTOR 4025827.
- Gridgeman, N. T. (1976), "The Mathematical Praeface to the Elements of Geometrie of Euclid to Megara (1570) by John Dee; The Mathematical Career of Pierre de Fermat (1601-1665) by Michael Sean Mahoney", The American Historical Review, 81 (4): 840–841, doi:10.2307/1864830, JSTOR 1864830.
- Ouwendijk, George (1997), "The Mathematical Career of Pierre de Fermat, 1601-1665. by Michael Sean Mahoney", Renaissance Quarterly, 50 (1): 334–335, doi:10.2307/3039384, JSTOR 3039384.
- Koblitz, Neal (2008), Random Curves: Journeys of a Mathematician, Springer, p. 92, ISBN 9783540740773.
- Landsburg, Steven E., Andre Weil, retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Weil, A. (1973), "Review: M. S. Mahoney, The mathematical career of Pierre de Fermat", Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, 79 (6): 1138–1149, doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1973-13354-3, MR 1566693.