Mike Oriard is a former professional American football player and college administrator and professor.
|Born:||May 26, 1948|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||223 lb (101 kg)|
|High school:||Spokane (WA) Gonzaga Prep|
|NFL Draft:||1970 / Round: 5 / Pick: 130|
|Player stats at PFR|
Early life and educationEdit
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2019)
After retiring from football, he earned his PhD at Stanford and became a professor of English and later Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Oregon State University. His academic work has centered on American sports nonfiction in multiple media.
- Dreaming of Heroes: American Sports Fiction, 1868–1980 (1982)
- Sporting with the Gods: The Rhetoric of Play and Game in American Literature (1991) ISBN 9780521391139
- Reading Football: How the Popular Press Created an American Spectacle (Cultural Studies of the United States) (1998) ISBN 9780807847510
- King Football: Sport and Spectacle in the Golden Age of Radio and Newsreels, Movies and Magazines, the Weekly and the Daily Press (2001)
- Bowled Over: Big-Time College Football from the Sixties to the BCS Era (2009) ISBN 9780807833292
- The End of Autumn: Reflections on My Life in Football (2009) ISBN 9780252076695
- Brand NFL: Making and Selling America's Favorite Sport (2010) ISBN 9780807831427
- The Art of Football: The Early Game in the Golden Age of Illustration (2017) ISBN 9780803290693
- Ryan, Jack (Spring–Summer 2009). "Book Review: Michael Oriard. The End of Autumn: Reflections on My Life in Football" (PDF). Aethlon. XXV12. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-06-12. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- "Mike Oriard NFL & AFL Football Statistics". Pro-Football-Reference.com.
- "Dean's Office". College of Liberal Arts, Oregon State University.
- Michael Oriard Oral History Interview at Oregon State University