David Michael Patrick Mingos, FRS (born 6 August 1944) is a British chemist and academic. He was Principal of St Edmund Hall, Oxford from 1999 to 2009, and Professor of Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Oxford.
David Michael Patrick Mingos
6 August 1944
|Thesis||The preparation and properties of some tertiary phosphine complexes of osmium, iridium, ruthenium, and platinum (1968)|
Mingos was educated at the Harvey Grammar School, King Edward VII School Lytham St Anne's, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (Chemistry Department Prize 1963, BSc First Class 1965, Hon DSc 2000), and the University of Sussex (DPhil 1968, and Hon DSc 2001).
Mingos undertook postdoctoral research at Northwestern University (Fulbright Fellow 1968–70) and at the University of Sussex (ICI Fellow 1970–71). From 1971 until 1976 he was a Lecturer at Queen Mary, University of London. He then moved to the University of Oxford as Fellow and Tutor at Keble College and University Lecturer. From 1977 until 1992 he was also Lecturer at Pembroke College, Oxford.
In 1990 he was appointed Reader in Inorganic Chemistry and for the academic year 1991/92 he served as Assessor. From 1992 until 1999 he worked at Imperial College London as Sir Edward Frankland British Petroleum Professor of Inorganic Chemistry (1992–99) and Dean of the Royal College of Science (1996–99).
In 1999 Mingos was appointed Principal of St Edmund Hall, Oxford and at the same time he became a visiting professor at Imperial College London. In 2000 he received as a Title of Distinction the title of professor of inorganic chemistry at the University of Oxford. He was superseded as principal by Professor Keith Gull on 1 October 2009.
Honours and awardsEdit
Michael Mingos is the son of Vasso Mingos, of Athens, and Rose Enid Billie Mingos née Griffiths.
- Mingos, D. M. P.; Wales, D. J. (1990). Introduction to cluster chemistry. Englewood Cliffs, N.J: Prentice Hall. ISBN 978-0134743059.
- Oxford University Gazette, Recognition of Distinction 1999–2000: Successful Candidates, Supplement (2) to Gazette No. 4558, Wednesday, 27 September 2000
- University of Oxford Annual Review 1998/99 Archived 5 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Principal of St Edmund Hall
- Michael Mingos's CV
- Debrett's People of Today (12th edn, London: Debrett's Peerage, 1999), p. 1362
- Debrett's People of Today online
- Mingos, David Michael Patrick (1968). The preparation and properties of some tertiary phosphine complexes of osmium, iridium, ruthenium, and platinum (PhD thesis). University of Sussex. OCLC 500519525.
- Davies, Stephen G. (1978). "Nucleophilic addition to organotransition metal cations containing unsaturated hydrocarbon ligands". Tetrahedron. 34 (20): 3047–3077. doi:10.1016/0040-4020(78)87001-X.
- Mingos, D. M. P (1984). "Polyhedral Skeletal Electron Pair Approach". Acc. Chem. Res. 17 (9): 311–319. doi:10.1021/ar00105a003.
- "New Principal for St Edmund Hall", St Edmund Hall
- "Full History of the Hall", St Edmund Hall