Michael Mina (born 1969) is an American celebrity chef, restaurateur, and cookbook author. He is the founder of the Mina Group, a restaurant management company operating over 40 restaurants worldwide. He is the executive chef at his two namesake restaurants in San Francisco and Las Vegas, which each have earned a star in the Michelin Guide. He authored his first cookbook in 2006 and has made numerous television appearances.
Mina in 2011
|Education||The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, New York|
|Cooking style||Modern American, Seafood, Mediterranean|
Early life and educationEdit
Egyptian-born Michael Mina was raised in Ellensburg, Washington. He started working in a French kitchen in his hometown when he was 16. After high school, Mina attended the University of Washington and worked in the restaurant at the Space Needle, where he received his first exposure to working in a busy restaurant. He left after one year to attend Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York.
After working in Los Angeles at the Bel Air Hotel with Executive Chef George Morrone, Mina followed Morrone to San Francisco to help with Aqua. Following Morrone's departure from Aqua, Mina became executive chef and received numerous awards and accolades.
Michael Mina's approach to cooking revolves around balancing four basic elements: spice, sweetness, acidity and richness.
Michael Mina has cooked for three United States Presidents.
In October 2006, Mina's San Francisco restaurant, Michael Mina, was awarded two Michelin stars, one of only four restaurants in the San Francisco Bay Area to be a two star recipient. In October 2011, it was awarded Esquire Magazine's Restaurant of the Year.
In 2009, Mina opened RN74 in San Francisco, which was named for Route Nationale 74, the highway that passes through France's Burgundy region.
For the 2010 San Francisco Bay Area Michelin Guide, Mina's San Francisco restaurant, Michael Mina, was demoted to one Michelin star, then it was excluded altogether from the starred list in 2011. For 2012, it returned to the starred list with one Michelin star.
In September 2012 Michael Mina launched Cook Taste Eat, a digital culinary media company that delivers video content through daily emails and video. Alongside co-host Michelle Branch, Michael Mina teaches viewers how to prepare restaurant quality meals in their own kitchen. Through daily emails and videos, viewers learn each meal one dish at a time along with useful behind the scenes culinary tips and tricks. Michael is a well known enthusiast of the Albany River Rats.
In 2018 he opened Mina Brasserie in the DIFC financial district of Dubai.
In November 2006, Michael Mina released his first cookbook, Michael Mina: The Cookbook. The book presents a number of recipes with his "Trio concept" as well as his "classic" dishes.
- Michael Mina. San Francisco, California
- Michael Mina. Bellagio. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Pub 1842. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Arcadia. San Jose, California
- Stonehill Tavern. Monarch Beach, California
- Stripsteak. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Stripsteak Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Bourbon Steak. The Americana at Brand. Glendale, California
- Bourbon Steak. Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort & Club, Aventura, Florida
- Bourbon Steak. The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. Scottsdale, Arizona
- Bourbon Steak & Pub. Santa Clara, California
- Bourbon Steak. JW Marriott, Nashville, Tennessee
- Clock Bar. San Francisco
- Bourbon Steak. Four Seasons Hotel, Washington, DC
- Mina Brasserie. Four Seasons Hotel DIFC, Dubai
- RN74. San Francisco
- RN74. Seattle
- American Fish, Aria Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada (Closed, 2015)
- PABU. San Francisco
- PABU. Four Seasons Hotel, Baltimore, Maryland (Closed, 2014)
- Wit & Wisdom. Four Seasons Hotel, Baltimore, Maryland
- The Handle Bar. Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- Pizza & Burger by Michael Mina
. Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida
- Michael Mina Stripsteak. Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida
- Bardot Brasserie. Aria Resort & Casino. Las Vegas, Nevada
- Mina Test Kitchen, San Francisco, California
- Locale Market, St. Petersburg, Florida
- PABU. Boston
- Mina’s Fish House. Four Seasons Hotel, Ko’Olina, Oahu
- International Smoke, San Francisco, California
- International Smoke, Houston, Texas
- International Smoke, One Paseo, Carmel Valley, San Diego (opening 2019)
- Trailblazer Tavern, San Francisco, California
- Mi Almita, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Prime Grill, Dubai, UAE
- Cal Mare, MGM Springfield, Massachusetts
- Introduced by Hell's Kitchen show host Gordon Ramsay as a master chef, Michael Mina appeared in episode 208 as a food competition judge. Later, in episode 809, Chef Ramsay and the challenge winners visited his XIV restaurant, but Mina did not appear.
- In 2019 Mina appeared on the "Meze Fete" episode of "Guy's Ranch Kitchen" (season 2 episode 14) on the Food Network. At Guy Fieri's ranch Mina prepared salmon with a chermoula sauce and labneh and then melons with rosewater and pistachios.
- Droze, Stasia (1997). "Michael Mina of Aqua, San Francisco". Interview. www.StarChefs.com. Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- "Top Chef Michael Mina Launches a New Restaurant in DIFC". Vogue Man Arabia. 15 February 2018. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Michael Mina". agassiventures.com.
- "Michael Mina - Marin Magazine - April 2009 - Marin County, California". www.marinmagazine.com. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- "Top Chef Michael Mina Launches a New Restaurant in DIFC". Vogue Man Arabia. 15 February 2018. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- Levin, Rachel (24 August 2007). "Michael Mina:The Cookbook". Recipe Review. The Food Paper. Retrieved 9 October 2008.
- [dead link]
- "ACF data". www.acfchefs.org. Archived from the original on 20 August 2003.