Michael McLeod (ice hockey)
Michael "Mikey" McLeod (born February 3, 1998) is a Canadian professional ice hockey forward, who is currently playing for the Binghamton Devils in the American Hockey League (AHL) as a prospect to the New Jersey Devils in the National Hockey League (NHL). McLeod was selected by the Devils with the 12th pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.
February 3, 1998|
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|NHL team (P)|
New Jersey Devils|
Binghamton Devils (AHL)
12th overall, 2016|
New Jersey Devils
McLeod played minor hockey with the Toronto Marlboros of the Greater Toronto Hockey League. In 2014, he led his team to capture the OHL Cup and was awarded the Tim Adams Memorial Trophy as the OHL Cup's most valuable player.
On October 7, 2016, the Devils signed McLeod to a three-year entry-level contract. In a preseason game on September 25, 2017, McLeod tore his meniscus in his left knee and required arthroscopic surgery. When he was activated from injured reserve he was reassigned to the Mississauga Steelheads.
On April 3, 2018, McLeod was assigned to the Binghamton Devils of the American Hockey League following the conclusion of his OHL career. McLeod was recalled for the first time by the Devils on November 29, following Jean-Sébastien Dea being picked up on waivers by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He made his NHL debut the following night in a 6–3 loss to the Washington Capitals, and was sent back to the Binghamton Devils the following day.
He is the older brother to Ryan McLeod, who is a member of the Edmonton Oilers organization after being drafted by them in the 2018 Entry Draft 40th overall. His other brother, Matt McLeod, played for Canisius College. He is close friends with current Devil Nathan Bastian, as both were line-mates with the Steelheads of the OHL.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2018–19||New Jersey Devils||NHL||21||0||3||3||13||—||—||—||—||—|
|Men's ice hockey|
|Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament|
|IIHF World U20 Championship|
Awards and honoursEdit
- "Michael McLeod wins 2014 OHL Cup MVP". thescout.ca. April 1, 2014. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Steelheads select McLeod 5th overall". Mississauga Steelheads. August 1, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "Devils Sign 2016 First-Round Pick Michael McLeod". NHL.com. October 7, 2016.
- Mahiban, Dhiren (November 28, 2017). "Devils prospect Michael McLeod receives 'unexpected opportunity' after knee injury". sportingnews.com. Sporting News. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "NEW JERSEY ASSIGNS MCLEOD TO BINGHAMTON". binghamtondevils.com. April 3, 2018. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Ryan, Chris (November 29, 2018). "Devils recall Michael McLeod after losing Jean-Sebastien Dea on waivers". nj.com. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- Stein, Amanda (November 30, 2018). "Devils downed by Capitals". NHL.com. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
Devils 2016 first round (12th overall) pick, Michael McLeod made his NHL debut against the Washington Capitals. McLeod, wearing no. 41, centered the fourth line with Brian Boyle and Miles Wood on his wings.
- Ryan, Chris (December 1, 2018). "Devils' lines, pairings vs. Jets (12/1/18) Will Butcher out; Michael McLeod sent down". nj.com. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
One day after making his NHL debut, Michael McLeod went back down to the Binghamton Devils in the AHL.
- "RYAN MCLEOD". eliteprospects.com. Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- "MATTHEW MCLEOD". eliteprospects.com. Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- "Michael McLeod named 2014 OHL Cup MVP". Ontario Hockey League. April 4, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- Biographical information and career statistics from Eliteprospects.com, or Eurohockey.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
- Michael McLeod player profile at Ontario Hockey League
|Awards and achievements|
| New Jersey Devils first round draft pick