Michael Locher (a.k.a. Vorphalack, or simply Vorph) (born 7 January 1969) is a Swiss musician who provides vocals and is a guitarist for Swiss industrial/black metal band Samael. He co-founded the band in 1987 with his brother Alexandre Locher (also known as Xytras or Xy) on drums. Michael's musical influences include Celtic Frost, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Venom, Bathory, and early Possessed. Michael particularly points to Bathory as a source of inspiration for vocals:
Vorph on Hunter Fest 2007
|Also known as||Vorphalack, Vorph|
|Born||January 7, 1969|
|Genres||Industrial metal, black metal|
Quorthon from BATHORY for the vocals I think was a big influence. To me, at that time, he was probably the guy who pushed the boundaries the furthest in terms of that style of music.— Michael Locher a.k.a. Vorph
His guitar is a customized ESP Viper with Ernie Ball guitar strings, Boss GT pro, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. During Samael's black metal period, Vorph (then called Vorphalack) played a Jackson King V guitar too. During the Passage era Vorph played a black Jackson Kelly.
Vorph was born in Sion, Switzerland.
- "Vorph - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives". www.metal-archives.com. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "SAMAEL Official Website ++ - Offline". Samael.info. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- Morgan, Anthony (21 February 2009). "SAMAEL Frontman: 'We Wanted To Do A More Stripped Down Metal Album'". Blabbermouth.net, Retrieved on 5 August 2009
- "SAMAEL Frontman: 'For Almost The Last Two Years Now, I've Just Listened To Classical Music'". Blabbermouth.net. 13 July 2007. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- Official Website Vorph's Page
- Ramon (April 2011). "Samael". Lords of Metal. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
|This article on a Swiss musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|