Michael France (January 4, 1962 – April 12, 2013) was an American screenwriter. He is best remembered for writing the screenplays for Cliffhanger (1993), the James Bond film GoldenEye (1995), and the comic book films Hulk (2003), The Punisher (2004), and Fantastic Four (2005).
January 4, 1962|
St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S.
April 12, 2013
|Cause of death||Diabetes|
France was born in St. Petersburg, Florida. As a kid he loved comics and movies, which may have inspired him to write. He attended the University of Florida in the early 1980s, working as a projectionist at a small movie theater in Gainesville and participating in its programming. He earned a graduate degree from the film school at Columbia University in New York City, New York.
France moved to Los Angeles, California, where he sold the script for Cliffhanger. He later wrote the scripts for GoldenEye, Hulk, The Punisher, and Fantastic Four. He also did some uncredited work on The World Is Not Enough. France bought the historic Beach Theater in St. Petersburg, Florida; built in 1939, the theater is known for its screening of independent and foreign films.
France lived in St. Pete Beach, Florida, with his wife, Elizabeth, and their three children, Annabelle and Carolynn, twins, age 10 at the time, and Thomas, age 15. He died on April 12, 2013, after what was called "an extended illness". He was 51 years old.
- Cunningham, Todd (April 14, 2013). "Michael France, Screenwriter on Superhero Movies, Dead at 51". The Wrap.
- Abel, Jonathan (April 12, 2007). "Beach's indy icon going Hollywood". Tampa Bay Times.
- Persall, Steve (April 13, 2013). "Michael France, screenwriter and Beach Theatre owner, dies". Tampa Bay Times.
- Michael France on IMDb
- The One-Page Screenplay: Michael France's Tips on Suicide Notes Movieline.com article, June 22, 2009
- Star Trek fans get ready for the big premiere 10Connects.com article (with video), May 8, 2009
- Shop Local: Beach Theatre The Daily Loaf article, December 11, 2008
- A Hulk Free of Hang-ups St. Petersburg Times article June 14, 2008
- The France Connection St. Petersburg Times article June 8, 2008
- Hollywood meets 'Rocky Horror' PoynterOnline.org article July 2, 2007
- Beach's Indy Icon Going Hollywood St. Petersburg Times article April 12, 2007
- Local screenwriter buys St. Pete Beach theater St. Petersburg Times article April 8, 2007
- Floridian: Flexing his writer's muscle St. Petersburg Times article June 20, 2003
- IGN: 10 Questions: Mike France June 19, 2003 interview
- Countdown to 'Hulk': Screenwriter Michael France's Big, Green Vision Comic Book Resources interview, June 16, 2003
- Floridian: Riding Spider-Man's coattails St. Petersburg Times article May 10, 2002
- The Beach Theatre Independent landmark movie theatre in St. Pete Beach, FL, owned by screenwriter Michael France. Built in 1939.
- Newmarket Press biography